New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Japanese Curry Chicken from scratch


Buying those curry cubes is pricey. So, I searched on the internet to see how Japanese curry is made from scratch. So, I found out that there should be lots of onions, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and of course curry powder.

I've got a few confessions to make here.

1. I made too much gravy, or is it that I used too little chicken.....
2. I made it too sour, by being greedy and putting in more tomato paste than I should.
3. I didn't have enough carrots

There are actually lots of made from scratch Japanese curry recipes, and I forgot where I got this from.
It's still nice, altho not exactly like the real thing, but acceptable.
Do try it out if u want to save some pennies :)
Japanese Curry Chicken recipe

2 Whole chicken legs, boneless, cut into chunks
Black pepper and a little sprinkle of salt.
Butter for frying chicken

4Tbsp Curry powder (I used Waugh’s Curry powder, Double Rifle Brand)
2 Tbsp tomato paste (I used 3, and I regretted)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 heaped Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 chicken cube/ or 2 tsp chicken stock powder
1 large onion, chopped (I recommend putting in more)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped.
3 Tbsp oil
2 cups water (Or omit the chicken cube or stock powder and just use chicken stock in place of water)
2 large carrots, cut into chunks

You can make the curry in advance.

1. Boil carrots with 2 cups of water/stock until cooked, but not too soft.
2. Heat wok/ saucepan on medium heat and put in oil. Saute garlic and onion until onion softens. Turn to low heat
3. Put in curry powder, and fry until fragrant. Pour in cooked carrots together with the liquid.
4. Put in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, chicken cube and let it simmer until desired thickness. Season with salt and sugar.

Final assembly

Marinate chicken with black pepper and light sprinkle of salt. Pan fry chicken in some butter until golden brown. Combine chicken and curry and let it come to a simmer. Serve hot with rice.

Oh yes, please put in more chicken with the amount of ingredients mentioned for the gravy or just half the recipe.

12 comments:

  1. I have no idea too cause have never tried this recipe before! Must give it a try! I think yours is very delicious looking. For me, I prefer more sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! I really enjoy the curry gravy, esp. if all over some coconut rice. Doesn't it sound heavenly?! :-)
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy,
    Mine is way too much, had to do treasure hunting for chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie,
    I'd prefer this with white rice, jap style curry is a bit weird with coconut rice, though. IMPO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've cooked Japanese curry a couple of times but I just used the ready paste. I still prefer our type of curry as I find the Japanese kind not spicy enough and too sweet for my taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahahah wendy...as far as i know your japanese curry is a little too "fiery" leh hahahahha

    ReplyDelete
  7. ICook4Fun,
    Haha, ya, it's a slightly sweeter, with a light tang.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manglish,
    It looked red due to the extra tomato paste ler.. no where near warm, where got fire.
    I regretted the extra tomato paste.. truly regret.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess this curry is not so spicy. I check with the recipe that u not put any chili powder.
    I like super spicy curry. Not spicy not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing all these recipes! I'm on the hunt for good tasting good food :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vera,
    Do let me how how it turned out for you if you've tried it out.

    Voon,
    Jap curry is mild curry. Not South Indian curry la. You can try a good jap pork curry at Ryu Men Tei Jap restaurant opposite the main road from SJMC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm dont know why is it hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...