New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Blueberry Flaugnarde


The batter is the same as cherry clafoutis, but when it’s not made with cherries, it goes by the name flaugnarde. Just like Chinese noodles, any noodles made from wheat are called “mein/mian/ 麵” and any noodles made from rice is called “fun/fen /粉”.

Clafouti/ Clafoutis is specific for cherries, so there could not be any plum clafouti or peach clafoutis. I’m sorry if you have one in your blog, but I’m saying it with reference to Wikipedia.

“The clafoutis comes from the Limousin region of France and while black cherries are the traditional there are numerous variations using other fruits including red cherries, plums, prunes, apples, cranberries or blackberries. When other kinds of fruit are used instead of cherries, the dish is called a flaugnarde”


From Wikipedia regarding flaugnarde :
"This is a flan-like baked French dessert with fruit arranged in a buttered dish and covered with a thick flan-like batter. Similar to a Clafoutis which is made with black cherries, a Flaugnarde is made with apples, peaches, pears, plums, prunes or other fruits. Resembling a large pancake the dish dusted with confectioner's sugar and can be served either warm or cold"




So, here I present to you, blueberry flaugnarde, a variation with the same batter recipe, in a small baking dish (1 cup capacity)

65ml whipping cream
35ml fresh milk
½ empty vanilla pod or 2 drops of vanilla extract
1 ½ tbsp sugar
1 egg
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp Grand Marnier/ rum (optional), I omitted this this time
Handful of blueberries, about 50gm
Icing sugar for dusting.

1. Preheat oven to 160/180C. (I used only 150C)
2. Bring milk, cream and vanilla to boil on low heat, put in sugar to dissolve. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
3. Lightly whisk egg and put in flour to mix.
4. Fish out vanilla pod, and pour slowly while slowly whisking into the batter. Add liquer if using. Do not incorporate to much air.
5. Pour batter into a buttered dish, throw in the blueberries (no need to arrange, they'll self arrange) and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and set.
6. Dust with icing sugar.



If you'd ask me, with the same batter as the cherry clafoutis, which taste better?
Definately this one, I'd say. And also according to Lydia's nanny. I gave her some of both clafoutis and this flaugnarde.

I never felt blueberries having a very nice flavour and fragrance, just another berry with a nice blue colour. But with this flaugnarde, it totally changed my mind. When I baked this one, I could smell, "Gosh, how come it smells so nice ??". Even after the baking, I kept part of the flaugnarde in the oven, and whenever I walk past that cold oven, I could smell it 3 meters away. That good!!!! 

So, if you let me choose, to make only one with the same batter, I'll definately rather have this than cherry clafoutis. Well, you may ask me, this one tasted batter maybe because you mixed it differently this time??? No it can't be, cos it's the same batter, I split the batter into 2, one pan for clafoutis one pan for the flaugnarde, so there couldn't be any variations on the mixing that made this superior over the clafoutis.


46 comments:

  1. this look good, i have yet to buy some fresh blueberries for baking, runny nose now, wait until i recovered,must buy some for baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for me, I like it made with blueberries. This dessert looks fantastic, I would love to have a dollop of ice cream with it :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my 3rd times trying to leave your a message, I hope it is ok this time, I have forgot what to tell you, hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia,
    is it regarding the peppercorn?


    Haha, you take care and quickly return to baking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitchen Corner,
    It already taste fab on it own. But ice cream will be an extra treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry, just realized that my comments actually went thru, i keep trying sending comments to you because my screen just running and I don't see any response..so you have many comments from me for this time, hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely lovely..

    i'm looking at the blueberries...but can't find it anywhere in the recipe! :D

    Do u add it last? I would.. LOL.. I simply hantam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just drooling over your beautiful pics! I prefer blueberries to cherries and this one I'll put on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks sensational! I just bought half kilo of blueberries...I hope there would be some left for the recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! Wendy, it's OK ... I perfectly understand you! I'm one of those ... Hmmm ... Non-clafoutis purists. I'd still call mine clafoutis aux fraises -- NOT clafoutis aux cerises! I'm this stubborn. =P Well, I use Wikipedia a lot too ... though it's not the best reference academically speaking. LOL!

    Nice flaugnarde there! Your family has 口福. Hey, is that dish one of those items you bought from Daiso on the day we met up last month? Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busygran,
    When you make this, let me know ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mott,
    Thanks for notifying me.
    I've put in the missing blueberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angie,
    Specially set some aside..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pei-Lin,
    As I said, that's your blog.
    You have all authority on how to name your food.
    And yes, I know yours is strawberry clafoutis and not cherry clafoutis.

    No la, this was bought long ago. Actually this wasn't stated as oven safe, but besides the heart shaped one, this was the only one small enough. So went ahead anyway, and it survived the oven. The base of this dish wasn't matt but glazed,and I'd say there is a difference in the cooking temp of the dish. Compared to flat unglazed base of the heart dish. I'll definately be buying more of this dish. The last trip, I took quite a few, but put them all back, except the heart shaped one, and now I regretted. I can all of these for flans or quiches or whatever next time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy,

    I learnt something new today. First time I heard of the term flaugnarde. Blueberries do seem like a very good choice, better than cherries. (cherries are very sour and they have stones) Next time I can use my cherry clafoutis recipe from one of my books and change it to a blueberry flaugnarde. Or perhaps even use apples for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bakertan,
    My cherries are very sweet. My kids eat them everyday (that's if I bought them). Maybe you bought early season ones, but currently they are all very sweet. Removing a few stones is not too difficult la.

    Apples, I love apples in baked stuff. Have a soft spot for that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I dun really like eating fresh blueberries but when baking with blueberries, it turns out very yummy, funny. Just like canned peach, nvr like it until I use it for cakes. And you let me learn something new again :). ur flaugnarde definately looks lovely and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  18. waaaauu.......looked very pristine leh

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious and thanks for the explanation on flaugnarde. I can't wait to try this recipe out. I love finding new blueberry recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks delicious!
    By the way, I seldom travel down to KL now a days. I'm afraid I can't attend the gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jess,
    Blueberry in muffins hoh... nothing spectacular.
    But when made into this, it taste fabulous.
    I wonder if it's because the blueberries are all floating on top and exposed to the heat, which is why it's so fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Manglish the aspiring writer,
    Pristine? Is that the right adjective for this?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kirbie,
    Try out this blueberry kuih.. hahaha, it's nice, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Little Inbox,
    Nvm, it's ok.
    But if the bunch of us are going to Penang someday, shall we find u???

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never seen anything quite like this! It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow..looks so yum! Blueberries sound like a better option, I'm really scared of the cough syrup taste of cooked cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely bake! Bravo, dear. Hope you're enjoying your evening.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Wendy, I just checked. Cherries are cheaper than blueberries in Singapore now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oooooh wendy - looks just sinful! I have never made anything like this.. sounds like something to put on my 2-do list! BTW - let me know when your mom is planning on visiting. I will send Hickory nuts with her!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pigpig,
    I'm very afraid of that too, but don't know why I didn't feel that in here. Is it due to the absent cherry seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Foodalution,
    She is in San Francisco now, she'll be in Houston soon. My sister in law is in Houston.
    Hehehe... Shall I give you my mailing address???
    Thank you so much for the offer :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Shirley
    Sure boh?? today I received news from another blogger saying blueberries going to $3.99 for 2 punnets

    ReplyDelete
  33. hey wendy,
    where do u get vanilla pod in ipoh?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Esther,
    I saw some in Intrico, Ipoh Garden near Woolley. Along the row of shops facing houses. I'm not sure about Wah Seng.
    I bought mine in KL, Bake with Yen.
    I'd say those in Intrico are of a better grade than the ones I bought, cos they were plumper and more moist, but definately pricier.

    You can just use vanilla essence, if you can't get the pods.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yummy...I made this yesterday, and it was great. Had to double the recipe, because it was for a party. Thanks so much for it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. hehehehe.. i had extra stash of blueberries but hubby not around to finish them! then i found this. always trust wendy to have interesting bakes other than cakes! *thumbs up*

    does this taste very milky like a milk pudding? do u know if it's ok for confinement?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ronni,
    Let's imagine a blueberry kueh made from milk.
    If u ask me, i'll eat this for confinement, if you ask my mom, she'll say no.
    So, it's up to the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  38. hehehe.. thanks! i'll give it a try this week and let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...