New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Chayote, Sweet Corn and Mushroom Soup



I saw this recipe on Blessed Homemaker’s. I was attracted to this soup, because it uses chayote. Well, some call it buddha’s hand gourd, some call it english gourd, whatever you call it, it’s that green gourd with a slit in the middle.

I have always loved Chayote, because it is so swweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
And indeed, when paired with sweet corn in this soup, it is even sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeter. Infused with the fragrance of mushrooms. Minimal salt is needed, but, please, do not use loads of water, if not, don’t blame me if the soup is tasteless.

The original version called for Agrocybe aegerita mushrooms, but my shitakes weirdly are labeled as 茶树姑, the same Chinese name for aegrocybes. I just used that (hahaha, just because the Chinese name’s the same), because I don’t have agrocybe, the real茶树姑. My mushrooms are from Eu Yan Sang, so that can’t be wrong, I guess they might have been grown on Chinese tea tree trunks. Actually they might be camellia mushrooms , as the Chinese tea bush’s scientific name is Camellia Sinensis, so I’m not surprised that these shitake lookalikes are actually camellia mushrooms, hence the Chinese translation 茶树姑.


Here’s what I did,
1 chayote, about 400gm, peeled and cut into chunks
2 sweet corns, cut into small pieces
5 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked, cleaned and halved
250gm pork loin or lean pork
2.5L water or 10 cups

Bring water to boil and put in everything. Put in on high eat for 30 minutes and low heat simmer for 2 hours. Season with a little bit of salt.

Everything got pretty tasteless after all the boiling, but…… the soup is so flavourful. Everything went into the broth…. Yummy :)

26 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    Just the kind of soup I should be taking now. I can taste the sweetness of the soup already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 2 hrs ar....very expensive leh electricity here hahhaaahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. busygran,
    It's nice for our hot weather... Yummy for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manglish,
    All Chinese soups also like this one la.. unless those quick soups, that only requires a quick boil.
    Tak cukup lama, tak cukup sedap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather has showed no mercy and been hot like hell recently...this is the perfect soup for the lunch with some Jiaozi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think I am going to try this too...jotting down the ingredients needed, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never make soup with chayote except for stir-fry. Great idea to add sweet corn to the soup as it will give extra sweetness to it. Is summer now so we can get 6 sweet corn for $1.00 :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Normally I just like to drink the soup and forget about the gourd and corn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi wendy,
    'Nice meeting you'. seems to have fallen in love here & allow me to put you in my link so i can 'close-watched' whatever you cook :-)).
    (psst, i'm going down to my kitchen to do the dulche de leche now)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another homely dish my mother used to cook - there may be some variation to the ingredients used, but the essence is the similar...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angie,
    When you make more jiaozi, don't forget my portion :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gert,
    That's dirt cheap!!!

    Here, even if it's bounty harvest, the cheapest is RM1 for 3.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Little Inbox,
    It's a norm for many to do that.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Makcikkantin,
    sure.. link me up. it's FOC.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shirley,
    Oh... definately. Every family has their own versions of everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh so thats what the gourd is called chayote....hmmm interesting. I think I'm going to like this. Will try it some time later.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, so it's called chayote...thanks for describing and showing it...
    I've only bought it once...out of curiosity...after I cut it open, I decided to julienne it, stir-fry it with dried shrimp and tang-hun. The results? I quite like it , thought it tasted a bit like the 毛瓜。

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi!! I always wondered how to cook this melon and didnt even know it is called chayote. I will try it out soon

    ReplyDelete
  19. mysimplefood,
    don't forget to give me feedback on how it turns out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you enjoyed this! We love this soup too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Blessed Homemaker,
    Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Wendy, Yesterday i had tried to boil this Chayote, sweet corn & mushroom soup, as u mentioned...its really sweet and very minimal of salt being put to taste! My gals love it very much!!! After boiling for 2 hours...the chayote was very soft and break to small pieces when we scooping our soup, make the soup a bit blur...do u put in the chayote together with corns to boil?? JasMine

    ReplyDelete
  23. JasMine,
    Yawoh, I put in together. But so far, I boil soup with Chayote few times already, ok woh, not too soft.
    Yeah, the salt is put in just to complete the flavour. If not it is only sweeet with no salty end.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...