New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Prawns with Thyme and Lemon


I’m cooking dinner for 6 tonight and I’m scratching my head on what to cook. I’ve got the vege prepared, the egg prepared and the meat/seafood??? Not yet. What should I do…..

I’ve got prawns in my freezer.. No chicken and I don’t want to serve pork tonight. So, I’ll cook the prawns. And they’ve been frozen for more than 2 months, I definitely do not want to steam them. And I don’t have a lot of spring onions in my fridge. I have a half used up lemon…

What shall I do? I’ve got thyme. Shall I try thyme with prawns. Well, you see, I’ve never used thyme before. I don’t know if it works, because different herbs work well with different stuff. So, I googled, Prawns + Thyme. Phew, this combination is not alien. There are dishes where prawns are cooked with Thyme.

So, here is my version of Prawns with Thyme, a sudden new recipe.


Prawns with Thyme and Lemon
Recipe Source : Wendyywy


500gm prawns, with shells
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp finely chopped onions
1 loosely filled Tbsp thyme leaves
1 tsp lemon zest
¾ tsp salt
Olive oil for cooking

1. Clean prawns and snip off the legs and half the head(until past the eyes) with scissors. Pat dry prawns.
2. In a hot wok, put in 2 Tbsp olive oil and slide in the prawns. Let them spread out around the wok and do not move them until the underside looks pink. Flip them and let them cook until curled up and pink all over. It should smell wonderful. Dish up set aside, try not to take up the oil.
3. In a clean wok, Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and put in onions and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, then put in lemon zest and thyme. Put in salt and cook for a while until it smells fragrant.
4. Put prawns back into wok and toss for about 20 seconds.
5. Dish up and serve.

16 comments:

  1. so delicious! but i c't eat prawns at the movement due to allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to cook mee hoon kueh tonight since I have run out of idea what to cook, hehehe..great idea to use thyme in prawn dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I'm not a fan of prawns, these look good! ...and I think lemon zest and thyme...should be very nice the smell!
    (btw, how you get lemon/orange zest each time? grate it or peel the zest then grind?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This prawn dish is calling me, and I can even smell it from your superb photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joceline,
    Awww..sad to hear that. Nvm, when the allergy subsides, then you can eat again.




    Sonia,
    Daily meals are really taxing. Especially if you prepare 2 meals a day. I don't think I can coook like u do :)



    Meldylocks,
    Usually I zest it directly from the fruit. Although sometimes I peel the skin, use a knife to run under the pith to get the rind and then slice the rind. Depends on which texture I'm looking for.


    HKChoo,
    LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a very attractive dish. Have not tried with thyme. Wonder how it goes with prawns?

    ReplyDelete
  7. something new again..no alien combination lah! thanks for sharing this, wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, thyme and lemon def work like a loving couple! Typical of Mediterranean cooking. I've made baked salmon with this combo. Yet to blog about it though. HAHA!

    Btw, I love experimenting with fresh and dried herbs, spices too! I buy herbs I dunno simply out of curiosity. Thyme was one of them! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do love my thyme, I always roast veggies with it...this looks so super good and flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look delicious and easy...will try cooking this other meat or seafood because I'm allergy to prawns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thyme is good to lemon, and herbs are good for seafood. I like prawn, your prawns do not look like being feezed for very long time though, they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Busygran,
    The thyme married well with the prawns :)



    lena,
    Haha, no la, since certain herbs were said t go with certain things like oregano with tomatoes, dill with fish, I knew thyme should go with lamb, but I didn't know whether it'll work with prawns, so I went searching looo.



    Pei-Lin,
    I was curious too, which was why I bought this pack of thyme.




    Jennifurla,
    Oh, I'll try it with my roasted veggies next time around.




    Zoe,
    Sure, I think calamari should work fine too.




    homeladychef,
    I froze them the moment I got them home :) No washing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wendy, this looks great, I can imagine I am licking my fingers after peeling the prawn shell, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jess,
    Glad you found them finger licking good, visually :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful and look delicious. So, it is correct that there is no 'ketchup' or 'tomato sauce' in this prawn dish to give that beautiful color, right? I got to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bee,
    How red the prawns will be depends on the type of prawns used. Not all types of prawns will be this red. No ketchup or tomatoes used here, but the original colour of the shell.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...