Friday, August 12, 2011
A cake that I can pass around making people think it's healthy. LOL. I just said, this cake has oats in it and they replied, "It's healthy, yumz" LOL.
So, if you want to make yourself 'feel' better when devouring a cake, try this out. LOL. Reasons, whether valid or not, just eat.
One regret with this cake. I shouldn't have used fortuna plums, instead go for black plums. Black plums when baked are very very pretty. It stains the cake pink, bright pink instead of being pale pink. I'll never bake with fortuna plums again.
Plum Oatmeal Madeira Cake
Recipe source: Waitrose
250gm /3 red plums (I used Fortuna plums, I recommend black plums instead)
100gm golden caster sugar (I used soft brown sugar)
2 medium eggs (grade C)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
100gm icing sugar
Few tablespoons of orange juice
1. Remove seed from plums and cut into chunks.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Mix with oatmeal. Set aside
3. Preheat oven to 160(fan)/180C and line 1 large loaf pan or 2 small loaf pans
4. Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
5. Beat in egg, one by one, beating well after each addition. Remember to scrape the bowl after each egg.
7. Put in balance of (2) and orange zest and beat until well combined.
8. Fold in 2/3 of plums and fill pans with batter. Top with balance of plums and gently press them in (I forgot to reserve and threw them all in into the batter! Hahaha)
9. Bake for 35mins-1 hour, depending on pan size, until skewer comes out clean.
10. Cool in pan for 20 minutes before turning it out.
11. Mix icing sugar with enough orange juice to preferred consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake.