New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Pepita and Cranberry Granola Bars - Bars Week # 3

Initially I wanted to submit this to Swee San's Red/Green event. But, it didn't turn out as green or as red as I hoped for. So, I scraped the idea.

I love granola bars. I find them addictive. Actually I love any cereal bar, but always find those packaged ones tooooo sweet. So, when I started making granola bars of which is different from muesli bars, I told myself, no more buying of any sort.  Granola bars are baked and eggs are added to help bind it. Ah-ha. When it could be bound with eggs, that means the sugar can be reduced, but not too much, still need the "glue". Muesli bars are bound together with a sugar syrup cooked until soft ball stage, which is why they are sooooooooooooooo sweet. All sugar no egg. Not enough sugar all will come loose. And I'll definitely choose granola over muesli anytime anyday. Being baked with some butter, it is the clear winner for me, LOL.


These were very good, but my 2nd batch isn't that good. The difference was I used BWY's cranberries of which nowadays look huge with open "pores". It didn't make this as good as the one from Ocean Spray. the fragrance is lacking.

 There are often grocery coupons for healthier ingredients, so check online before you shop


Pepita and Cranberry Granola Bars
Recipe source: Wendyywy

1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup pepita / pumpkin seeds
1 cup cranberries
½ cup sweetened coconut flakes

65gm butter
80gm sugar
40gm honey
½ tsp salt
1 small egg (45gm with shell on)

1. Lightly toast coconut flakes on a pan over the stove. (don't forget to toss it all the time to prevent it from burning)
2. Lightly toast pepita in the same pan until they look puffed up.
3. Combine oats, pepita, coconut and cranberries together.
4. Place butter, sugar honey and salt in a pan. Cook on medium heat until the sugar is melted. Pour this over (3)
5. When mixture has turned warm, mix in the egg.
6. Preheat the oven at 160(fan)/180C and fully line an 8 inch square pan with overlaps.
7. Press mixture into pan and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Let the granola cool down totally.
9. Lift granola up from pan (with paper underneath). Cut into preferred sizes.

*If you find it too soft to cut, throw it into the fridge for 30 minutes, it'll be much easier, but this recipe is firm enough to be cut w/o chilling.





I made a double batch and packed them up as gifts for Christmas. Those who received these, I hope you liked them. Healthy and sinful at the same time, LOL.


27 comments:

  1. Wow! Like store bought! I want a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy ,

    Cranberries u using is dried one is it?I got a pack of fresh cranberries , any idea how to use it?

    Yvonne Yeo

    ReplyDelete
  3. so much like the store bought; should I say, so much better than those from the manufacturer. Homemade still the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never thought of making this but your pix make them look so tempting to try knowing how much my husband will love this. I'm a newbie to all these so excuse some silly questions here:
    1. Are coconut flakes grated coconuts?
    2. (And this one is really silly) From step 1 to step 2, do you mix the seeds together with the coconut?
    3. Step 6: do you mean 160 or 180C?

    Thanks for sharing, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Happy New Year!
    I just found and loved your blog!
    Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. rookie,
    thanks for informing




    Wen,
    haha, sure, enjoy!


    Yvonne,
    Mine is dried. Refer to Elin's blog (google for elinluv). She cooks/bakes a lot with fresh ones.


    Mel,
    less sweet lor


    EVC,
    1. No, they are also known as angel flakes. You can get them labeled either as angel flakes or sweetened coconut flakes. It's moister than dessicated coconut and looks coarser too.
    2. No. They both have different toasting times. Toast them separately.
    3. 160 is with fan on (convection), 180 is w/o(conventional), depending on your oven.




    Elpiniki,
    thanks for dropping by

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photos & also love these granola bars. I was craving with the nut bars when I was pregnant with my 2nd one & totally agree with you about the commercial muesli bars which are too sweet for our standard but western people love them. They can eat very sweet things & normally quite generous with the use of sugar when come to making dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was actually looking for muesli this afternoon in jusco but ended up never buying them cos i thought i still hv flaxseeds and sunflower seeds in my house, just finish eating them first. But i never know that granola bars have eggs in them. YOur cookies galore very helpful..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, an array of bars to choose! This has got to be my favorite, since there's oats. The chewy texture is some how very satisfying.😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Wendy..thanks for sharing wonderful recipe. Really like to visit here. Keep it up good work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I've been missing from blogsphere for since New Year day and you've got granola bars from your kitchen.

    I seldom have granola bars because those from supermarkets are way too sweet for my liking. I like the idea of reduced sugar :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your recipe. May I know where did you buy the angel flakes.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessie,
    oh yes, for some of their cakes I cut 60% sugar, ahaha.



    small kucing,
    u left out healthy, kakaka



    lena,
    hmm..that makes them different from muesli.



    Bee,
    the first and last bars has oats, but this is better, in my personal opinion



    Sue,
    Thanks



    Yvonne,
    Those are very sweet ler.. very



    Sharon,
    If you buy them off the shelves at upmarket supermarkets, they come in small packs costing about RM20, as big as choc chip packs. Depending on brand, some label as sweetened coconut flakes.
    You can also get them generic, at bakery supply stores. Check out their fridge, it's in there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your prompt reply. I found the angel flakes in BWY labelled as Hawaiian coconut flakes in their fridge. Wendy, you are a very generous lady always so willing to share. God bless n keep up your good work.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Wendy,
    Really thank you for your kind sharing of this marvelous recipe.
    I just made this yesterday and my family just love it. Thanks a million :)

    Looking forward to more recipes from you :)

    From: Kah Chin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kah Chin,
    Glad your family loves it :)
    Thanks for the feedback

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi wendy, may i know how to store the granola bars after baking? do i need to keep in the fridge? thanks you =)
    ruijuen

    ReplyDelete
  18. ruijuen,
    If it's just a few days, air tight at room temp is fine. More than a week, I suggest you chill it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi wendy, may i know 2here to get angle flakes? Can i replac3 it with other things?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi wendy,
    I am suepheen. I love your post n recipe. Thank you very much for sharing so many great recipes.
    I made these bars yesterday, only changes i made was to reduce the cranberries to only 1/2 cup instead of 1 cup stated in your recipe.
    After it was done, i left it on the open air for abt 3 hours ( busy till forgotten abt it ) by then i cut it t was not crunchy butcstill nice, chewy. But by today its abit soft, not the seeds but the bars, i hold the bar it will melt like that n break. Hope u understand what i am trying to explain. Do u know what when wrong? Store bought bars r hard n cruncy. Please help as i loves to eat bars during my snacks time

    Regards, suepheen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Suepheen,
    Did u make this on a cloudy day? When the humidity is high, the granola when left outside for a long 3 hours will definitely soften.
    Once it has softened, you have to dry it up again in the oven, if not, the "collected" moisture will continue to soften the sugar structure and cause it to crumble.
    I hope you kept them air tight. Best is, keep them in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi wendy, thanks for youradvice. I kept them in the fridge n it turns out hard n yummy.i made another batch yesterday. Tq.
    Regars, suepheen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi!

    What honey do you use? I only have manuka honey and wonder if it may not be suited for high heat baking without destroying its good properties? Or did I understand wrongly?

    Thanks!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Wendy, for the quick cooking oats ,do i need to cook it first or just add straight into the mixer?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...