New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, October 12, 2012

Shortcut Beef Pho - Soupy Noodle #3



I was actually searching for another beef noodle when I bumped into this recipe.
I ate this before in Vietnamese restaurants, some being really tasty and some forgettable.

Still having a big container of beef stock powder that was given to me by my brother, I made this noodle, shortcut way by using stock powder instead of beef bones. If you need a recipe with beef bones, please refer to source. And if you want to know where my brother got the beef stock powder, it's at Jaya Grocer, at the Korean food section.



The beef here is raw, cooked by merely pouring boiling broth over it. Hence, it's really tender and pink.
To ease slicing the beef, freeze the beef and thaw it at room temp for half an hour. If the beef is half frozen, you can slice it really thinly. The thinner it is, the quicker it'll cook :)

I don't know if you noticed, both pictures lacked something, hahaha. The 1st bowl lacked lime and the 2nd lacked beansprouts, LOL. Talk about being anxious to eat, one for me, one for my hubby!




Shortcut Beef Pho
Original source: Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
As seen on Steamy Kitchen
Servings : 6 (about 2 cups broth per pax)


Broth
3L water
½ Tbsp coriander seeds
½ Tbsp fennel seeds
2 cloves
2 star anise
1 pc cinnamon (2 inch long)
1 cardamom pod
1 red onion
2 inches ginger
1 Tbsp beef stock powder
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp rock sugar
Salt to taste

1. Half onion and ginger, leave the skin on. Place a rack on top of the stove. Turn on the fire and turn it to medium low. Put the onion and ginger on the rack, cut side down and roast it until it chars slightly. Rinse both ginger and onion to get rid of any loose char bits.
2. Place charred onion and ginger into a 5L capacity pot (you can use a bigger pot, of course). Put in all the spices and water. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 1 hour. Strain the broth and discard the solids.
3. Return the spiced broth to the pot and bring to a boil. (top with water if water level has gone too low, I maintained a 3L amount) Put in beef stock powder (or cube), fish sauce, rock sugar and cook until everything dissolves. Taste. Add salt if necessary.
4. Cook beef balls at this point if needed. Turn heat off until it’s almost time to serve.
5. When it’s time to serve, bring broth back to a hard rolling boil.



To Serve
500gm yellow noodles, blanched (My husband likes this instead of rice noodles)
300gm dry rice noodles (soaked and cooked according to package instructions)
250gm beef, thinly sliced (used raw)
Cooked Beef balls (I used 30 beef balls and 20 beef tendon balls)
Spiced Beef Broth
Condiments
         :-Thai Basil, Fresh Mint, Coriander (Mine dried up, so I omitted it last minute), Bean
         sprouts (raw), Bird’s eye chilli and Lime wedges

Place some noodles into a big bowl. Arrange some beef balls and tendon balls. Then lay beef slices on top of noodles. Bring soup to a rolling boil and pour boiling broth over the raw beef. Top with preferred condiments and serve.



14 comments:

  1. Not a beef person, but I'm salivating looking at the tiny chillis..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wendy ! I think you can cook everything in this whole wide world ! Apart from your talent, I really admire your passion =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beef noodles! At the Vietnamese restaurant I won't order anything else. Just this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my last Hanoi trip, actually their Chicken pho also very yummy wor..love your quick version using stock powder..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive followed Foodwishes video instructions on beef pho n it's not bad. Yours looks easy enough too. Thanks for sharing

    Hem Joo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wendy,
    You have me drooling.. This is just what i want for this time of the year (Autume now in France). I would be happy to have this everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup i also use beef tock cubes, saves so much time. Love those beef tendon balls!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow,this is a perfect dish for fall season!! thanks for sharing,wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy,
    Wow, looks perfect & yummy.
    May I know what brand/type of dried rice noodle you used here as I've not seen such thick noodle before. Thanks.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy, this remain me of my late mum (from Ipoh & excellent cook too)use to make fresh tendon beef ball for us to eat. It was so yummy & too bad that I was too young & did't learn from her.I wonder if you know how to make tendon beef balls?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debby,
    it's a Made in China Guangxi thick vermicelli "chou mai fun". I bought mine in Tesco.


    Mary Chey,
    sorry, no idea on how to make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soupy noodles are the best thing to have this monsoon season, nothing like a nice warm bowl of soup. All the 3 noodles in this series look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your first photo, that's make me drooled....
    I would like to have a bowl as my bf in this raining morning! Please!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...