New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Crema de Fruta - AFF Philippines , Pinoy Bakes #2



Creme de Fruta is a popular dessert in Philippines. It's sponge fingers (known as broas in Philippines)  with custard, topped with canned cocktail fruits and clear jelly.

You can choose to make this with a homemade sponge or store bought sponge fingers, and I also saw some using graham crackers. I used a recipe I previously used to bake sponge fingers and baked this in a sheet form and cut out the sponge according to the size of my serving cups. Usually creme de fruta is set in a large glass tray, but I also saw some in individual servings. I also chose to spoon the custard over the sponge while it's hot, because this way, the custard will set better. I don't want to disturb it too much, afraid it will turn runny, and warm custard hydrates the sponge much better.



My eldest girl loved it a lot and it's her in the background.  I don't understand why this dessert is so hard to shoot... it just doesn't turn out right... maybe due to the peach's colour, the white balance is just out.. and I'm still a noob after all these years, still shooting on auto, not knowing how to manipulate the buttons. hahaha!

She found me shooting them for too long and she could no longer wait... and held up one cup... and I saw it was nice to shoot this way... and so be it.



Crema de Fruta

by WendyinKK 
Makes 6 servings

Cake/sponge
2 eggs
Pinch of cream of tartar
50gm sugar
63gm plain flour

Custard
3 egg yolks
3 Tbsp sugar (around 40gm)
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp plain flour
300gm milk
1/3 tsp vanilla extract or some vanilla seeds (I used 1/4 pod)

Topping
1 Tbsp gelatin + 50ml drinking water
150ml water
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
Canned Cocktail fruits (I used 1 can 410g), drained
Glace cherry, as needed

Prepare sponge
1. Preheat oven at 200C, fan off. Line a 8/9 inch pan with baking paper.
2. Separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Beat egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar until soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff (hooked peak).
3. Add in egg yolks and fold with a wire whisk. Sift in flour and fold with whisk.
4. Pour the batter into the lined pan, and level it. Bake for 10 minutes or until firm to touch.
5. When cake is cooled, cut the sponge sheet to fit your serving cups. Fit the sponge into the cups neatly.

Prepare custard
6. Cream egg yolks, sugar, starch and flour together until combined. Heat milk with vanilla in a saucepan until it starts to boil. Pour 1/4 of the milk into the yolk mixture, stirring gently all the while. Then pour all the hot milk into the yolk and stir again. Pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan and cook until it thickens to the consistency of cream soup.
7. Spoon very warm custard onto the sponge in cups. Let it cool down.

Prepare topping
8. Put drinking water into a heatproof bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over and leave it for 5 minutes. After that, heat water and sugar until it boils and pour this into the gelatin. Stir and put in lemon juice. Let it cool down.
9. Put a layer of cocktail fruits over the custard and glace cherry in the middle. Spoon the cooled gelatin over the fruits and chill for 5 hours before serving.



I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Philippines Month

5 comments:

  1. So tempting especially when I saw your girl took that mouthful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy the presentation looks good and i think will be delicious. Your girl girl long hair.. looks different... sure very pretty.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This looks delicious! My mom was watering when I was reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is as if you read my mind... for an in between holiday meal serve, i wanted to make available a dessert that would be kid-friendly, adult-pleasing, and not too rich in flavor profile. my brain was not thinking parfait or trifle or layer build. it is now. this looks beyond yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...