New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Cranberry Upside Down Cake



I'm lazy...... bought my cranberries for around 2 years, kept frozen. Yes, you read it right, 2 years.
Finally, I baked this cake.

And being absent minded, I didn't notice most recipes calls for the cake to stay in pan for 30 minutes before overturning. Instead I treated it like pineapple upside down cake that needs to be inverted right away after removing from the oven.......


And so.. the juices ran down the sides of the cake! Oh... it looked awful, as if the cake was bleeding. If I let it stay in the pan longer, the cranberry base would've set due to the pectin. So, I hope you won't repeat the same silly mistake like I did. Haha.

But if you like the effect of a bleeding heart.... you can flip it after 10 minutes :)

I brought half the cake to school and my colleagues all enjoyed it. Most of them have only eaten dried cranberries, and not fresh. I'm glad they liked it. Their favourite part of the cake wasn't the cranberries, but the soft lemon cake that I made up using whatever I have in the fridge. I guess enjoying these tart berries is an acquired taste. Although they don't taste sour to me after baking, they might still be a bit too tart for some.




Cranberry Upside Down Cake

by WendyinKK

Topping
240gm cranberries
160gm sugar
20gm unsalted butter

Cake
150gm unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
75gm whipping cream
2 Tbsp lemon juice
5 egg yolks
1 tsp lemon zest
150gm plain flour + 1/4 tsp baking soda (sift together)

5 egg whites
100gm sugar

8 inch round pan or 7 inch square pan

1. Line the base and grease the sides of your pan.
2. Cook cranberries, sugar and butter together until the cranberries burst and the sugar melts and turn syrupy. Pour everything into the prepared pan, Distribute the cranberries evenly in a single layer.
3. Preheat oven to 160C(Fan)/180C
4. Mix whipping cream with lemon juice. Melt butter and mix with soured whipping cream. Add in salt, egg yolks and lemon zest and mix until well combined. Add in sifted flour and mix until smooth.
5. Beat egg whites until very foamy and add in sugar gradually and beat until medium stiff.
6. Fold beaten egg whites into the batter in 3 additions.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and level the top.
8. Bake for 1 hour or until done.
9. Let cake cool in pan for 30 minutes, then overturn the cake onto serving plate.

*Chill cake if not consumed within 48 hours



My bleeding heart :)


14 comments:

  1. Wendy, this cake is soooo pretty! I actually like bleeding heart effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Carol,
      Dried cranberries might not work becos their natural juices have all seeped out during the sweetening and drying process. If you were to use dried cranberries, you won't get the pink syrup that is full of flavour. But if you don't mind that, just soak the dried cranberries in cranberry juice and cook until the dried cranberries all plump up again. I'm not sure if it will work, but you can try. Let me know if it works

      Delete
  3. Look so yummy. I wanna try make this too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bleeding heart would have been perfect for a Halloween party! I understand how it is to buy an ingredient and not get round to using it. I have a packet of osmanthus flowers waiting to be used.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so lovely, and looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol!! I have a pack of cranberries in the freezer also about 2 years! Onz! Gonna use this recipe to bake me a cake, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy,

    Correct me if I am wrong, the cake itself is a chiffon cake right? The egg separation technique, how the yolks & whites are being treated differently resembles a chiffon, except one ingredient - whipping cream. I am intrigue as to how this chiffon cake did not collapse or shrink on top (which becomes the bottom after overturning)? Usually a chiffon cake would have to be cooled upside down to prevent the top from shrinking?

    redyoyo

    ReplyDelete
  8. redyoyo,
    Not only Chiffon cakes employ the egg separation method. Look at Mrs Ng Butter Cake, the egg white is separated too.
    The recipe ratio of this recipe doesn't resemble a chiffon's recipe, although made with egg separation method. It won't collapse as the liquid amount is not a lot, unlike a chiffon cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy,

    Thanks for the explanation. By comparing the amount of eggs to floor I thought this is a chiffon. Is this cake light as well? Perhaps just a bit more dense? I confess I am a chiffon cake lover & I baked many ones. Just that they do not hold fruit toppings or fillings such as chocolate chips well. So I am very excited to find this recipe which resemble a chiffon yet strong enough to hold an upside down topping. Sorry to ask you a few more questions :

    1. What can I replace the whipping cream with? Milk?
    2. Can I use vegetable oil instead of butter?
    3. Can I ask you a big favor? Do you mind scaling down to a 3 egg recipe for me? My cake tins are small & my 3 eggs chiffon cakes baked well in them.

    Thanks a lot!!

    (BTW, I read from one of your earlier entry about Camp Cameron during your uni days. I attended this camp too way back in the mid 90s. So I guessed we are alumni of Camp Cameron. The truth is I lost contact with my camp/challet mates since graduating...)

    redyoyo

    ReplyDelete
  10. redyoyo,
    This cake does not resemble nor taste like a chiffon. It is a light textured buttery cake.
    1. Greek Yogurt or sour cream and double the baking soda
    2. As you like, but I don't think it will taste as nice.
    3. You can scale the recipe by doing a 60% of the recipe. If you don't want to take out your calculator, just do it in MS Excel. I use Excel when I feel lazy to think much when I scale up or scale down a recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will do that Wendy. I just need to know the % to reduce. It cross my mind that you may get the scale up or down recipe questions a lot. Why not do a short post on that? When annoying people like me asked you, you can just refer us to the post. Ha ha.

    Thanks!! An early blessed Christmas to you & your loved ones.

    redyoyo

    ReplyDelete
  12. redyoyo,
    If the recipe was a 5 egg recipe, reducing to 3 egg is just 3/5X100=60%. Just like that, basic mathematics. it's not hard, try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...