New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Sweet Vanilla Cake



I call this Sweet Vanilla Cake as it looked sweet to me... sweet feeling, not sweet tasting.

I saw my friends making Korean Style Flower Buttercream deco and they were so pretty. I can't pipe like that, and so when I saw these fresh edible flowers in Cold Storage Sunway Pyramid, I quickly bought them. I planned to make a cake once I get home few days later.



I'm imagining a cake with strong vanilla flavour as the sweet scent complements a sweet looking cake.

To make the vanilla buttercream well infused with vanilla, I chose to make a cooked buttercream so that the heat will create a stronger vanilla flavour. Use extract if you like... but somehow I like to see specks of vanilla seeds on the cream.



I used the sponge recipe from Fruit Pie Cake and modified it again, and I like it even more this time.
I am happy with my frosting this time, as the cake looked so smooth :)
Got some runaway crumbs somewhere... but not that obvious unless you want to nitpick it.

There was no occasion and my kids call no occasion cakes as 'Eating Cakes'.
But I think this makes a nice Mother's Day cake.



Sweet Vanilla Cake

by WendyinKK 

Meringue
6 egg whites from Grade B egg (around 60-63gm each)
110gm sugar
1/4 tsp vinegar or pinch of cream of tartar

Yolk batter
6 egg yolks
60gm melted butter
30gm sugar
4 Tbsp water
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
110gm cake flour
25gm cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder

Topping
1 portion of Vanilla Flour Buttercream
Edible flowers for decoration

1. Line the base of two 2 inch tall pan (8  inch diameter). Lightly grease the sides.
2. Preheat oven at 180C.
3. Mix egg yolks, vanilla seeds, melted butter and sugar together. Then add in water. Mix.
4. Sift flour together with cornstarch and baking powder into the yolk mixture. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
5. Prepare meringue. Beat egg whites until frothy. Add in vinegar or cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar and beat the meringue until stiff (hooked).
6. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and fold. Add another 1/3 of the egg whites and fold.
7. Pour the yolk batter into the remaining meringue and scrape the yolk batter bowl clean. Fold the batter until even with quick strokes.
8. Pour the batter into the two lined pans and level.
9. Put into the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 30 minutes or until done.

Assembly:
1. Scrape off the crust from each cake and sandwich with some vanilla buttercream.
2. Apply a thin layer of buttercream all over cake, and chill the cake for 30 minutes. Chill the remaining cream as well.
3. Remove cake from fridge and give it a nice smooth layer of frosting.
4. Decorate with cleaned edible flowers.


they wilted a bit after 3 days... 

9 comments:

  1. Oh my. No words to express my feelings when I saw this beautiful cake. It's simply outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. The cake is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word. Gorgeous. Actually, no.. 2 words. DARN GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, as usual love all your recipes. Made this cake today for my son's birthday. I frosted the cake with whipping cream instead. My cake turnout to be quite dry & dense otherwise it's all good. Please advise how can I improved on the lightness of the cake. Or sponge cake is not supposed to be left uncovered in the fridge when chilling? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keat,
    When unfrosted, always keep cakes airtight in fridge, else they turn really dry.
    Dense, it's due to deflated batter.
    If you're going to frost it with whipping cream, eaten when really cold, I suggest you use corn oil, instead of melted butter for the cake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake is beautiful. You can buy large nozzles called Russian tulip nozzles from bakery shops or online. These nozzles enable you to pipe some flowers easier than the traditional Wilton method.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May I know where to buy edible flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LuluMa,
    As written early in the blog post, I got them from Cold Storage Sunway Pyramid.
    It's usually available at premium supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...