New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Steamed Sweet Potato Gems



This is an easy kuih and it's nice to eat. I can finish the whole lot of it myself! LOL.

Previously, I have eaten the pumpkin version of this, and having it in sweet potato form is an interesting change.


I saw this kuih shared by Anncoo and having some sweet potatoes and not knowing what to do with it, I sprang into action right away. Since I only have 150g of coconut milk in the fridge, I needed to adjust the amount of ingredients accordingly. I decided not to steam it and simmered the potatoes until soft, as liquid is needed in the recipe itself. Boiling is definitely faster than steaming. I can be a lazy bum at times seeking shortcuts here and there.

I ran out of tapioca starch and only had sago starch at home. You can use tapioca starch if you prefer, but cornstarch will not work.


Steamed Sweet Potato Gems

by WendyinKK
Ref: Anncoo


Battter
200-220gm sweet potato cubes (peeled weight)
100gm sugar
150ml coconut milk
200ml water + 2 blades of pandan
100gm sago starch*
Pinch of salt

Coating
Freshly grated coconut to coat + Pinch of salt (optional, I always prefer no salt)

1. Rub pandan leaf to bruise and tie into a knot. Put water, pandan knot and sweet potato cubes into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft. Fish out all the sweet potatoes. Let it cool down until warm, if you cannot wait. 
2.  Weigh the sweet potatoes. Top up with the cooking water until you have 300g. Discard balance of water and pandan knot.
3. Blend all the batter ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into a greased 7 inch square pan
4. Steam on medium heat 25 mins.
5. Cool down and cut into preferred shape and coat with freshly grated coconut.

*Tapioca, Arrowroot or sweet potato starch can be used as well.





6 comments:

  1. These look so delicately delicious Wendy. Thank you so much for sharing...I tried to Pin this link to Pinterest but it says Pinterest has it blocked to prevent spam. I am a new follower on FaceBook though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. Looks delicious and not difficult to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Wendy! will cassava starch work as well? i'm not sure if it's similar to tapioca starch..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise,
    I'm so sorry, Pinterest does have issues with my blog, I just don't know why.


    MnYfoodtalk,
    Yeah, it's not difficult at all.


    Maine's discovery,
    Yeah, same thing, Cassava is tapioca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will it freeze well? If not, for how many days can I keep it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rye Blossom,
    I'm not sure if this can be frozen.
    How long it can keep, it depends on the coconut, if your coconut spoils, then you must discard it. It won't last longer than 2 days in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...