New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, September 28, 2015

Vanilla Flour Buttercream @ Ermine Icing



I wanted to do a vanilla buttercream that has vanilla seeds infused in it.

I remember many years ago, while reading up on buttercreams, there is one type that is cooked and goes without eggs. Some calls it whipped buttercream, some call it flour buttercream. I think flour buttercream will make one 'differentiate' it immediately. It is actually called Ermine Icing or Frosting.

This type of buttercream will be suitable for those who want to go egg free, but want a lighter buttercream that differs from the typical ''butter + icing sugar'' ultra sweet buttercream. And for those who find half cooked egg whites in buttercream icky.



I'm very happy with this flour buttercream, as it tasted yummy and I was able to frost my cake well. It's the smoothest attempt ever, so far.

This buttercream isn't that stable for it to withstand heat. Room temp, it's ok, but not for too long as it will soften, like whipping cream. It's not as stable compared to meringue buttercreams if you want to pipe fancy decorations. Cupcake swirls or rosettes is still ok, but make sure you chill it properly before you pipe.



I find it good for spreading and filling cakes, and taste wise, light as not as sweet as meringue buttercreams.

If you prefer other flavours, it's easier to incorporate, as you can just cook the flour paste in the flavouring liquid, and take note that you might need adjustments.

see how fluffy it looks :)

Vanilla Flour Buttercream

Rewritten by WendyinKK
Ref: Epicurious

Flour paste
170ml milk (2/3 cup)
20gm plain flour
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped

100gm sugar
170gm slightly softened unsalted butter** (around 23C)

Cook flour paste.
1. Mix flour with part of the milk until smooth. Mix in the rest of the milk and scraped vanilla seeds.
2. Cook the mixture on medium low heat* until it turns thick and cooked, like a really thick cream soup (visual consistency almost like ketchup)
3. Let the paste cool down, stirring it every now and then to prevent caking up until room temp.
4. Cover the surface of the paste with cling film, and chill until cold.

*I just mixed everything in a glass pyrex cup and zapped it in the microwave until it turns thick and cooked, going at 1 min, then 30 secs  intervals and slowing down to 20 secs when it starts to thicken considerably.

Prepare buttercream
4. Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
5. Add in cold flour paste and beat it until the cream is all smooth and fluffy.

**you can use lightly salted butter (demi-sel), if you prefer a tinge of saltiness and it tones down the sweetness. Salted butter will be too salty.
***Use French butter if you prefer your outcome to look whiter.

7 comments:

  1. When I first started learning about buttercream, I have attempted it but my mission failed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is new to me. It sure looks very smooth and fluffy too! Thanks for sharing this buttercream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi do you think durian puree can be added into the frosting to get the durian fragrance?

    I tried your Swiss meringue butteecream last year for my boys birthday cupcakes and they were yummy. This year am going to try this with durian for my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi it's me again. Forgot to leave my name. Agnes. Do you think this frosting will go well with durian?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to write in a few times ... would you be able to recommend a soft spongy cake recipe that goes well with durian?. I want to do a layer durian cake for hubby birthday. I have already bought the durian puree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agnes,
    You can try the same sponge recipe I used to frost this cream with, the Sweet Vanilla Cake. Just omit the vanilla beans.
    You can definitely add in durian puree, but the puree should replace part of the milk, and the total liquid should not be way over the ratio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy, I've try this recipe but why my buttercream end up watery and so soft? Another question is are u using caster sugar?can it disolve into butter?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...