New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Soft Fluffy Doughnuts







It was a holiday project with the kids.

I promised them to make doughnuts for a long long time, just that it never came around.
Bad mother, haha! I still owe them croissants, homemade ones. Hopefully I'll make them by this year.

I manually kneaded these and the result was good enough for us.



My husband asked me why did I take all the trouble to make these, when doughnuts like 'Big Apple' and 'Mr Donut' are so easily available. After I told him the whole cost of making all these, he nodded his head in agreement. It is really a lot cheaper!

Homemade doughnuts can't be as fancy as store bought, as I can't be making a lot of flavours. I just played around with sprinkles and melted chocolate. My kids were so happy with what we made together.... didn't need 10 flavours to brighten up their day.



If you are curious if these are as soft as Big Apple, Krispy Kreme or Jco.. I will say no. These don't contain any softeners or improvers. But it is definitely way softer than Dunkin Donuts.

Left over doughnuts can be reheated by zapping for a few seconds or lightly warmed in the oven.


Soft Fluffy Doughnuts

by WendyinKK
Makes 20-25 pcs 6cm doughnuts


250g plain flour
20gm sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
90ml milk
25g butter
1 egg yolk

Yeast Mixture
60ml water+ small pinch of sugar
1 tsp instant yeast

1. Prepare yeast mixture. Mix yeast, sugar and water together. Let it sit for a few minutes until it turns frothy and forms some foam.
2. In a big and clean bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together. Make a well int he center.
3. Pour milk, softened butter, egg yolk and frothy yeast mixture into the well. Mix until combined and knead until the dough is smooth and no longer sticks to the hand. Let it proof until double (Mine took 1.5 hours.)
4. Roll the dough to 1/3 of preferred height, cut with doughnut cutter and place it on small pieces of non stick baking paper cut to fit a single doughnut
5. Proof until height of doughnuts doubled (it will be at 2/3 of you preferred height now).
5. To fry: Heat oil on medium heat, lift the whole doughnut together with paper, and carefully, gently slip the doughnut into the hot oil. Fry both sides until golden. Drain and coat with preferred glaze or coatings.







24 comments:

  1. Nothing beats homebaked. Not only it is cheaper, it is healthier and a great bonding activities with the kids. and yes they don't need 10 flavours to make their day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edith,
      The oil, so important. Scares me looking at all those melted shortening used to fry.
      My little monsters eat a lot of doughnuts, buying is really expensive :-)

      Delete
  2. Wendy, they look so good like those sell in shop. You are super mom, your kids must be love u very much :)

    CP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CP,
      I wish I am a Supermom, but I'm not. I can only afford such activities with them during the school holidays

      Delete
  3. Don't dare to make donuts as I will eat them all because they are so irresistible! Love the decoration you did for your donuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasline,
      Thanks. Play around a bit. If not with only two glaze , kind of boring.

      Delete
  4. What is the pink colour cream made of

    ReplyDelete
  5. bakerlim,
    It's strawberry flavoured chocolate from Beryls

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!! looks like they came right out from the shops! I've been wanting to make donuts too, but add some mashed potato so that it's a bit more moist and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Wendy
    I would like to know, how you made the icing for the doughnuts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keani Tan.
    Just melted chocolate. Strawberry flavoured and dark compound chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how airy it looks! Definitely soft and light! My husband who is a fan of doughnuts when "whoa" when he saw the picture. :D Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi wendy , i've try to make you doughnut recipe and my family love it soo much. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alexstanleykelly,
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you liked this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi wendy,
    I've tried many of doughnut recipes and fail. But when i've tried your it came out perfect just like the title, fluffy. My girls and i love them. Thank you so much. Definetly make them again.

    Prita-indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome doughtnut. My kids loves it����
    I follow ur recipe �� from cindy goh

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an extremely awesome recipe!! This is the third time I'm using this recipe and it comes out perfect everytime. Absolutely love it!
    It's humid where I am so I always have to add 4 extra tablespoons of flour.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The water to prepare the yeast mixture is tap water or normal drinking water ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mahfuzah,
    I used tap water that has been filtered with a Panasonic Water Purifier.
    If you are from a country with soft water from the tap that isn't dirty or yellow, it is fine to use it direct from the tap.
    But if you prefer to use normal drinking water, be it boiled or bottled, it is also fine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi.sue here.may I know the batter ..is it liquid or look like bread dough,means more solid types?

    ReplyDelete
  18. sue,
    It starts as a sticky dough, but it will not stick when it's sufficiently kneaded.
    Definitely not a batter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi I tried the recipe today. Its really good and really a perfect one. It really worked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...