New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cherry Almond Cake


Many years ago.... say around 2002, I bought a loaf of cake, studded with cherries. Normally I don't quite enjoy eating glace cherries...but in that cake, it was quite delectable.

I didn't know that it's actually a 'type of cake', I thought, it's just a pound cake with 'dump-in-any-thing-you-like-to-pretty-it-up' sort of thing. Last year while surfing for recipes.... I found that, it's actually a type of cake, that is popular in the UK. You can get many variations of the recipe, mostly from UK recipe sites.






I saw Nigella has one, and seems to have pretty good reviews about it. I decided on this recipe.

The outcome was pretty.... cherries nicely scattered, crumb was beautiful... BUT DRY!!!
I wonder where did I go wrong. There was liquid, and I rinsed the cherries... I didn't bake longer than said as my oven is pretty accurate, and with most reviews saying 1 hour wasn't enough for a big loaf pan I did it in a savarin pan. So, what was the problem?


My guess will be the eggs. I think it needs one more. This recipe has more almonds than other recipes, and lesser eggs, comparatively. I should've noticed that, careless me! But then again, maybe some people enjoy it to be at that texture, maybe it's only me who finds it dry.

In the end, I rescued the cake by steaming it for 5-6 minutes. The cake turned out wonderfully moist with a tender crumb that wasn't fragile and crumbly. I kept the cake in an air tight container, and it stayed moist until we finished the cake.

every slice looks different.... I love how even the cherries are in the cake


Cherry Almond Cake

Reference: Nigella Lawson


200 gm red glace cherries
250 gm self-raising flour
225 gm salted butter (SCS)
175 gm sugar
3 large eggs ( I suggest 4)
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 gm ground almonds
6 Tbsp milk

1. Cut each cherry into quarters, or 8 pieces, but not any smaller.
2. Put cherries in a fine colander. Rinse it under running water. Shake off excess water, place the cherries on a paper kitchen towel to absorb excess moisture.
3. Mix self raising flour with ground almonds. Remove 2-3 Tbsp of the flour mixture and mix with the drained cherries. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven at 150(fan)/170C. Generously butter a 9inch Savarin pan or a 20cm chiffon pan. Dust the pan with some bread flour. Tap away excess flour.
5. Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy, add in eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
6. Add in vanilla and beat for a few seconds.
7. Pour half the flour mixture in and beat on low speed until incorporated.
8. Add in all the milk and beat for a few seconds until incorporated.
9. Add in balance of flour and beat on low speed until incorporated.
10. Add in cherries and fold.
11. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, level the batter and bake for 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean.

*If cake turns out drier than how you will enjoy it, steam it like how I mentioned above.

3 comments:

  1. Happy new year wendy and family!
    Am wondering if i could use fresh cherries? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. sylleong,
    I'm not sure. But if you want to try, I think you need around 400gm of fresh cherries and skip the milk. Use plain flour + 2 tsp baking powder + 1/4 tsp baking soda instead of self raising flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una bella fetta la mangio volentieri.
    Buon Anni 2015.
    Inco

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...