Tuesday, February 17, 2009
UFO Bun 飞碟面包
Whenever I make breads from whatever overseas site, I always have to reduce the water content by 10-15%. If not the dough will not be pliable… very sticky and can’t be formed. Maybe it’s due to the type of bread flour or the humidity in Malaysia.. I dunno..but reducing the water a little bit sure make things better
The site shows that this bun has filling… but I can’t seem to find out what it is. So, I omitted it. Hub said, the topping itself is tasty enough, no need to add in filling. He likes it.. he likes it.. kekekeke
160 gm bread flour
40 gm low protein flour
1 tsp yeast
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp milk powder
90gm water (I used 80gm only, add in by the teaspoon if u can still handle it)
1 drop vanilla essence
30gm low protein flour
¼ tsp baking powder
10gm ground almond
45gm melted butter
1. Mix everything in (A) together except butter. Knead until dough is smooth and stretchy. (took me half hour by hand, I don't have a bread machine). Knead in butter until well incorporated.
2. Cover and leave to proof until double in size.
3. Punch down dough and divide into 6 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and place on a piece of baking paper, about 5 inch diameter.
4. Let proof until double again.
5. For topping, melt butter and mix with ground almonds.
6. Beat eggs with sugar until sugar dissolves. Add in vanilla essence.
7. Sift flour with baking powder.
8. Combine (5), (6) and (7).
9. Chill until consistency turns thick.
10. When dough balls have doubled, pipe topping starting from the centre of dough, in spiral pattern until it almost covers the top of bun. When baked, the topping batter will later melt down the sides.
11. Bake in 200C preheated oven for 15 minutes.
(From what u can see of my buns, they are a bit burnt, I did 200C for 7 minutes, and they browned, so I quickly turned down to 170C for another 10 minutes, but yet.. **sigh** still brown, very brown. The next time around, I’ll go 180C for 15-20 minutes, it depends on your oven)
New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA