New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Oil-less Pandan Chiffon Cake
I decided to try making a pandan chiffon w/o baking powder and w/o oil.
Not that it doesn’t contain oil at all, but I’ve added more coconut milk to it, and coconut milk contains coconut oil.
I’ve whacked the egg yolks too this time, and it gave me a tall cake, even w/o baking powder. I’ve tried making pandan chiffon with and w/o baking powder before, using the regular chiffon method. And I found that the one w/o is slightly softer and less tall compared to the one using, which had better structure and taller.
I’m happy with the result of this cake
5 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
5 egg yolks
180gm thick coconut milk + pinch of salt
70gm concentrated pandan juice
1. Preheat oven to 170/180C.
2. Combine coconut milk and pandan juice. Mix with flour until a smooth batter is formed. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar, beat until egg whites are at medium peaks.
4. Add in 100gm sugar gradually and beat until stiff peaks.
5. In another bowl, beat egg yolks and 100gm sugar until thick and pale (colour of cold butter).
6. Fold egg yolks into batter.
7. Fold 1/4 of egg whites into yolk batter, and another ¼.
8. Pour yolk batter into remaining egg whites and fold well.
9. Pour into a 25cm tube pan and bake for 45 minutes.
10. When cake is done, immediately remove from oven and invert to cool.
11. When cake has totally cooled down, remove from pan.
The colour's slightly different here due to the tinted window using natural light. The picture above is taken using bounced flash indoors.
See my 2nd attempt with this recipe here.