New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Corn Silk Molasses Tea 玉米须黑糖茶



We often discard corn silk, and it's treated as waste. When I was a kid, I collected corn silk whenever I saw someone peeling fresh corn and played masak-masak with it. It's like playing with hair! Absolutely fun and environmentally friendly. LOL!

I saw this recipe years ago, it reminded me that I've seen corn silk sold at Cameron Highlands, and the store owner told me it's good for the kidneys. I've also read about it saying it's diuretic and good for people with water retention. According to Baike.com, it's good for edema, hypertension, diabetes, jaundice, gallstones and it's also good for lactation purposes. Benefits of corn silk can also be found on WebMD. And it could also help with fat reduction, as said in this research paper.




During another trip to Cameron highlands, I bought two packets of young corn. I remembered this drink that I've seen before. I bought some really dark sugar, and I made it, not knowing how the taste will turn out. This drink is quite nice, and the fragrance of corn silk is refreshing!

Take note that I did not use Blackstrap Molasses, of which are bitter. I bought these really dark molasses sugar from  organic stores. If not, jaggery 红糖 (gula merah) will make a good substitute and more budget friendly.

Corn silk from both mature and immature corn can be used. Both types provide different nutrients. Young corn silk is rich in Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc and mature corn silk provides more Natrium, Iron and Manganese, according to this research. Both types provides antioxidants and flavonoids but  young corn silk provides more of both. Sun dried corn silk has less nutrients compared to fresh or cornsilk dried without sun exposure , according to this research.


Emmm.... I am not sure about it's lactating effects, although it was said to be beneficial for that purpose. I never tried this drink when I was still breastfeeding.
If anyone tried this drink and found that it helps with breastfeeding, please share with me the good news.

Well even though it doesn't help with lactation, the warming effects of red dates and the nutrition rich molasses is good for confinement.  Still a good drink, and a nice change from Red Date Tea.


Frankly, I never knew that corn silk can have so many benefits, until I started googling for information to write this post. So often it's treated as trash, and discarded, and I think... I really need to drink more corn silk tea to reap more of its benefits. I will try to buy corn still in husks instead of shucked corn----> I want to lose FATTTT!!! LOL.

Corn Silk Molasses Tea

Recipe by WendyinKK
Idea from : MeishiChina

50gm corn silk
20 red dates, seeds removed
Dark molasses sugar (黑糖 black sugar) to taste
2L water

1. Bring water to boil, put in red dates and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Add in corn silk and dark molasses sugar and simmer for another 10 minutes.
3. Drink it warm for confinement, or serve chilled on a hot day.



3 comments:

  1. Hi, Thanks for sharing, didn't know about the Corn Silk until i read your write up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting confused. blackstrap molasses is black sugar, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blast,
    Blackstrap molasses is bitter and it's just the molasses without the sugar, and it's in liquid form, not solid.
    Black sugar is raw sugar, with a high molasses content, and it's solid granules, doesn't taste bitter at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...