New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, February 24, 2014

Black Vinegar Ribs 排骨醋- Pork Ribs #1



A dish that I made on impulse.

Initially I wanted to make sweet vinegar ribs 糖醋排骨. I bought a bottle of sweet vinegar and thought of experimenting with this. I tasted some, it wasn’t too sour and so I daringly used 250ml of it. In the end, the whole dish was sooo dark, I chose to leave it soupy and tadah… it became this dish

I didn’t even thaw the ribs. I put the frozen ribs directly into a pot of water, heat it up until the meat on the ribs turned opaque and turned it off. Then I tore the pieces apart. Discarded the water and proceeded with cooking. Quick and easy. While the ribs were simmering in the vinegar, I went to bathe, came back and reduced the gravy .

I know many like to drink the gravy of black vinegar pork trotters, but don’t like to eat the trotter because it is fatty. Err… think of the positive collagen, don’t think of the negative fat! I don’t mind eating trotters, but a trotter is huge! So, by doing this dish, one can enjoy the taste of black vinegar pork without the fatty issue. If you want to eat more meat and less bones, try using pork shin , it’ll taste fabulous too!

Those in post labour confinement and find the trotter not to your preference, does this dish sound like good alternative to you?

Black Vinegar Pork Ribs
Recipe source: WendyinKK

500gm pork ribs
250ml sweetened black vinegar 添丁甜醋
2 inches ginger, smashed
50ml light soy sauce
50gm rock sugar

1. Blanch pork ribs on boiling water for 1o seconds. Drain the ribs.
2. Put everything into a small pot and add enough water to cover the ribs.
3. Bring it to a boil and on medium low heat, simmer for 30 minutes, lid on.
4. Remove lid and reduce gravy to desired amount with medium heat.





9 comments:

  1. Pork ribs is a good alternative but I still prefer the lemak-lemak! Ah, so no need to thaw ribs. I want to try this method too because thawing takes too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phong Hong,
    If your ribs are frozen hard, then the time in step 1 is longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is my favorite. Love to have this with more more rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourite dish. But I duno how to clean the pork trotter. Got a lot of tiny bristles. Using ribs sounds good also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy, good option to use pork ribs. In the past, I could get a small bottle [380ml] of sweetened black vinegar to cook half a pig trotter. Now it comes only in big bottle which is too much unless it for some occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, this is such a brilliant dish for a lazy person like me. And to make it worse, it's the hubby's favourite dish @@ So you are a lifesaver for sure ;) I already bookmarked this to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing. I tried to copy & paste the recipe to Microsoft Word but unable to. It would be so much convenient and fast if allow to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just tried this with chicken instead for confinement. Oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this dish,I want to try cook this dish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...