New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, February 28, 2014

Dangshen Pork Rib Stew 党参焖排骨 - Pork Ribs #3




Today.... is my first day back to work.
After 5 years of staying home, my child care leave has ended and I'm back to my teaching career.
There are many concerns, particularly about my kids, and my in laws are currently taking care of them while I'm at work. It's going to be tiring as I might work 6 days a week at times.

Cooking will be greatly reduced at home, probably to once or twice a week, as I only reach home by 7.15pm. But this blog will still be running with new recipes weekly. As some of you know, I always have too much back logs to clear. I hope I can still bake in the morning before I leave for work. The blog goes on... as this blog was born back in 2007, when I was teaching.




I tried this dish from an eatery in Sungai Siput that my in laws brought us to. It was pleasant and went very well with rice.

The dangshen lends a sweet flavour to the dish, and it doesn't taste bitter or pungent at all. This dish is considered on the warm side as ginger, red dates and dangshen are in that category according to Chinese beliefs. Since it's a warming dish, it is suitable for port partum confinement as well.



Dangshen Pork Rib Stew 党参焖排骨
by WendyinKK 

500gm pork ribs
38gm 3rd grade* dang shen (Codonopsis pilosula 党参)
10 red dates
20gm ginger (1 big toe sized ), smashed
2 cloves garlic, smashed
40 ml light soy sauce (2 chinese soup spoon)
2 tsp dark caramel sauce
1 heaped tsp cornstarch+2 Tbsp water

1. Rinse dang shen well to remove dirt and remove seeds from red dates.
2. Heat wok and put in 1 Tbsp oil. Saute ginger and garlic until fragrant. Put in pork ribs and cook until the surface turns opaque. (if wok is very hot, won’t take long).
3. Transfer everything in wok into a small pot. Put in dangshen and red dates. Pour enough water to cover. Put in soy sauce and caramel sauce and bring to a boil. Cover and let it simmer for 1 hour.
4. Remove lid and reduce liquid to preferred amount, (taste it) and thicken the gravy with cornstarch mixture until desired thickness (use more if needed)

*There are many grades of dangshen. Much lower grades are
cheaper, thinner with less flavour. 2nd grade and 1st grade is very expensive to use.

13 comments:

  1. This dish looks delicious and perfect with a bowl of steaming white rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the workforce, Wendy! Very reassuring to know that you will keep this blog running. This pork ribs stew is something new to me, I am not very familiar with Chinese herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, saw in FB, lovely dish which is quite easy to prepare. Thanks for sharing, will try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like dangshen. I once used thus to cook with fish. Like to get my hands on this dish soon too. Happy back at school teaching and hope you enjoy every minute with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, do we need to blanch the ribs like what we do with soup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best Wishes to you Wendy, and I love the fact that you will keep your beautiful blog going even though you're going back to work! And this dish looks absolutely delicious.
    Jaynelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dish sure will be the favourite for my husband and son. Yummy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy,
    Wish you all the best resuming back to your teaching career.
    Glad that your beautiful blog is still going.

    This is a nourishing soup and i would love to try it !!
    mui mui

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy

    Where to get this dark caramel sauce? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle,
    supermarkets and grocery stores

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it the same as dark soya sauce?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle,
    Lee Kum Kee's dark soy sauce is fluid and salty. Not this type.
    I am using knife brand Dark caramel sauce. It is thick, very black and not salty.
    Some brand like Bidor Kwong Heng's Angel brand, they call it thick soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the receipt, I cooked using this and it taste good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...