My final fav ala-Thai
When I was pregs with #2, I craved for white rice. Sometimes, I will eat rice at 7pm, and ask rice again at 10pm. And the rice's taste cannot be overpowered by the dishes. I wanted to taste rice, but yet, won't want plain white rice with nothing.
This dish was the one that I ate with my rice cravings. Not that I didn't like this pre pregnancy, I have loved it all the while, just that, I loved it even more during pregnancy.
The dish may look dry.... but yet, the fragrance is what makes it alluring. If you are in post pregnancy confinement, you can try out this dish too. Again.... hot hot wok is crucial for the final stir frying. And don't skimp on the oil! The original method involves deep frying but I changed it to stir frying. I know the steps seem a lot... but it's just about layering the stir frying to optimize the heat.
Ayam Goreng Kunyittasted and recreated by WendyinKK
330gm boneless, skinless chicken breast (1 whole breast)
1 tsp turmeric powder
¾ tsp salt
Cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp oil
1 large red onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges, and separated
10 long beans, sectioned into 2 inches long, must not be wet
1 red chilli, thickly sliced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1. Slice chicken thinly and marinate with turmeric, salt, pepper and oil for at least 10 minutes.
2. Heat wok until very very hot. Put in onion and red chilli, and toss it around and then put in 1 tsp of oil. It will smoke up and and with a quick hand, give it a few tosses, until the onions will take on some caramelization, then dish up. If it smells good, it's done right.
3. In the same very hot wok, put in 1 Tbsp of oil, and put in long beans. Give it a good few tosses until you see the beans having specks of brown. Dish up.
4. Then in the same very hot wok, put in 2 Tbsp of oil, wait til it very hot, put in the chicken. spread it around, and let it fry until it turns partially opaque and then give it a quick toss until the chicken pieces are cooked and looks dry enough. Dish up.
5. Finally, in the same wok, wait til it's very hot, put in 1 tsp oil and put in the smashed garlic and cook until it looks golden, pour in the chicken and toss it around until the chicken pieces have fragrant golden edges. Pour in all the cooked vegetables, add a light sprinkling of salt and give it a final few tosses. Dish up.