Tuesday, July 19, 2016
Two years ago, Lydia asked for a Doughnut cake on her 7th birthday.
Pink doughnut with sprinkles....
I made the cake earlier in the day. Did the strawberry syrup and reheated it to complete the glaze at night.
The only food colouring on this cake came with the sprinkles.
I forgot to note down the exact amount I used for the glaze.
The recipe below is a rough estimate but it won't run too far off from reality, as I usually have mental formulas.
I modified the cake from the orange chiffon cake recipe on my blog.
Here's how I did it.
Strawberry Doughnut Cakeby WendyinKK
Orange yolk battter
110ml fresh orange juice
4 egg yolks (Grade B, 63g with shell on)
75ml corn oil (or any vegetable oil)
140gm plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp orange zest
4 egg whites (Grade B, 63g with shell on)
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven at 180C/160(fan). Prepare a 9 inch ungreased Savarin pan
2. Zest the oranges and juice them. Mix with the juice with oil, sugar and egg yolks until smooth.
3. Sift flour and mix into the orange juice mixture, add in orange zest , stir until smooth.
4. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very foamy then gradually add in sugar and beat until medium stiff peaks.
5. Put 1/4 of the egg whites into the orange batter and fold. Repeat with another 1/4 of the egg white.
6. Pour orange batter into the egg whites and scrape the bowl clean. Fold everything until well combined.
7. Pour the batter into the savarin pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until done.
8. Turn the cake upside down, resting the tube on a glass to cool down totally.
9. Use a flexible plastic spatula and remove the cake from the pan.
10. Place cake, dome side up on a serving plate.
100gm ripe red strawberries, chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
50gm cream cheese, room temperature.
1. Cook strawberries and lemon juice with sugar on medium low heat until all mushy. Strain it and discard pulp. Taste the juice, it should be very slightly oversweetened, if it's too sour, add more sugar. If too sweet, just adjust with some lemon juice.
2. Reduce by cooking the the strained juice until half has evaporated.
3. Pour half of the hot strawberry syrup over the cream cheese and stir until smooth. Add as you adjust the consistency to your preference. You might not use all.
4. Pour the glaze over the cake.
5. Decorate with sprinkles of choice.