Another chilled cheesecake from Alex Goh
Sometimes some things are just made for each other, peanuts and coffee are a couple made in heaven.
We loved this cheesecake even before it hit our lips.. the smell of the coffee, with the peanuts and cheese......
I changed the topping of the original recipe from almond nibs to peanuts. And it was the perfect decision. I like all my coffee flavoured cakes to be paired with peanuts, just like pandan cakes must be paired with coconut :)
Here goes the recipe:
Sponge cake: any that u prefer, preferable size (Square: 9X9 X 1.5inch , round: 9X9 X 2inch). Cut into 2 layers or u can leave it as a single layer. I prefer double layer. If u want to use one layer, then use thinner sponges as preferred.
250gm cream cheese, room temperature
200gm sweetenened condensed milk
150gm whipping cream, whipped
1 Tbsp instant coffee + 2 Tbsp hot water (I used Nescafe Gold, and it was so good, regular Nescafe was not as good)
1 3/4 Tbsp gelatin + 50ml water
Topping: 90gm toasted peanut nibs
1. Bloom gelatin in water for 2 minutes. Microwave on high for 30 secs or longer until gelatine dissolves. Leave to cool down.
2. Mix instant coffee with hot water. Stir to dissolve. leave aside to cool down.
3. Beat cream cheese and condensed milk until smooth and creamy.
4. Mix in coffee mixture, mix well.
5. Beat in gelatine mixture and mix well.
6. Fold in whipped cream.
7. Place 1 piece of sponge layer into cake ring/square case/spring form pan and pour half the filling onto it. Use a spatula to level filling.
8. Place the other piece of sponge and top with the balance of the filling. Level filling.
9. Immediately sprinkle toasted peanut nibs over cake and gently press.
10. Chill for 5 hours before serving.