Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Steamed Pumpkin Buns 南瓜包
I bought one big pumpkin for my pumpkin jam, and there was more than a cup of pumpkin puree left.
Planned to make these into steamed buns, but in the end, I baked half of it.
I might have oversteamed it, as the baked ones turned out well, but my steamed ones sort of collapsed. I think I should steam them at medium heat, due to the high butter content, cos the baked ones were fine, as they were baked at a med low heat.
Tastewise, still fine. I quite like it, but I think I’d change the flour used to all bread flour the next time I make it, instead of a mix.
1 sachet dry yeast
400gm pau flour
100gm bread flour
1 tsp double action baking powder
300gm pumpkin puree
some pumpkin seeds for decoration
1. Dissolve yeast in water. Add in a pinch of sugar. Set aside and let it froth.
2. Mix pau flour, bread flour, double action baking powder and sugar together.
3. Make a well and pour in yeast mixture and pumpkin puree.
4. Combine well and knead until dough is no longer sticky.
5. Put in butter and continue to knead until butter is well incorporated.
6. Cover and leave to proof until double, about an hour.
7. Punch down and knead for another 10 minutes.
8. Divide dough into 20 portions, almost 50gm each.
9. Line tart tins with muffin cases.
10. Roll each portion into a ball and place into lined tart tins.
11. Leave dough to proof until double, about 45 minutes.
12. Steam on high heat for 10-12 minutes.
For Baked version
After step 8, Roll each portion into a ball and place into muffin cups. Leave to proof until double. Top with pumpkin topping and pumpkin seeds. Bake at 150C for 15 minutes.
To make pumpkin topping: Take 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree, mix with 1/2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp flour. Mix well, and put mixture into a clean plastic bag. Snip off one small corner and pipe as desired.
*** You might need to bake it at a higher temperature, as my oven browns bread very easily. 150C is just nice for my oven.
New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA