Friday, September 11, 2009
Making ice cream w/o a maker is a bit tedious, whizzing and waiting…. I might try the salt and ice method next time.
The outcome of this ice cream is yummy…. Almost Haagan Daz like(taste, the flavour, not the texture), just that not as smooth, with some ice crystals. Well, I whizzed it twice, and it was way too late, had to sleep, so I didn’t bother and freezed it til morning. Haha, but yet, it was good.
400gm Strawberries (red and ripe)
1Tbsp lemon juice
8 egg yolks
500ml whipping cream
1. Chop strawberries and macerate with 100gm sugar until soft.
2. Whip egg yolks with 250gm sugar until pale and fluffy. Combine with macerated strawberries.
3. Bring milk to a boil, slowly pour into egg yolks, whisking all the while.
4. Pour egg yolks mixture back into saucepan and cook on low heat until mixture thickens slightly coats the back of the spoon, do not boil.
5. Remove from heat and leave to cool down totally. This step can be done hours ahead, and best to be chilled in the fridge.
6. Whip whipping cream to soft peaks and fold in (5). Put mixture into freezer.
7. After 2 hours, bring it out to give it a good whiz with a hand held mixer. Repeat this step an hour later, and another hour later. After that every 30 minutes until ice cream almost solidifies. Pack them into freezable containers.
Coffee ice cream might be the next one I’ll try making…
The picture for step 4, dip spoon into custard and draw with finger on the back of the spoon, If the line stays, it's ready.
I don't have an ice cream scoop at the time of the pic..
All the ice creams were shaped with a ladle :)
I tried to take a pic everytime I eat it, but yet... it's the unadorned one(1st pic above) that looks the best
Lydia loving the ice cream..... yum........