New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Caramelized Sweet Potato - Sweet Potato #2



Grandaunt is the type of person who likes to repeat dishes. Don’t tell her you like it, if not you eat that at least 4 times in a week. Serious! Ask my brother about her infamous bean paste fish, he’ll puke if he ever thinks of that now. Or the ex workers of my mom’s salon who in the end got so sick of her Fish Paste Stuffed tofu that they picked the fish paste and left the vege carcass behind, and that made grandaunt furious. She has this notorious habit of repeating dishes and she hates it when people refuse to eat anymore. LOL.


untouched, not stirred or moved
Well, this is one of those that she cooks so so often that we don’t bother to eat. She actually cooks a small pot of it, leave it in the house and whoever wants some snack, just take one big chunk and eat. It’s the ‘snack’ of the house. Sometimes when I am too hungry before meal time, I do eat, and I love the caramelly syrup. I love to roll the sweet potato chunks in the syrup beneath….. delicious!

It's been 17 years since Grandaunt left us, and her birthday was around this time. We used to celebrate it somewhere not too long after CNY. I ate the whole pot of this and nope, I wasn't hungry. I was wanting to eat it. Missed it so much.


Grandaunt’s Caramelized Sweet Potatoes
Recipe by: WendyinKK
Tasted and recreated from Grandaunt’s version

500gm sweet potatoes
½-3/4 cup sugar
Sufficient water
2 blades of pandan leaf

1. Peel and cut sweet potato into chunks.
2. Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer in a pot
3. Pour in water, up to half the height of the sweet potatoes
4. Snip pandan leaves and place them over the potatoes.
5. Put the lid on and cook on medium heat until sweet potatoes softened (but not mushy)
6. Sprinkle sugar over sweet potatoes evenly, no need to stir or flip. Cook until the water almost dries up (lid off) and the syrup turns to a light amber colour. I like it when the base takes on some minor burns


7 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy
    This is one special unique snack. Yes, I know I Ioves this. Oooo....you ate the whole pot of this...smelly wind pass by?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too. Specially when the sweet potatoes turn chewy with burnt caramel. Yum. I finish this off with a bit of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha Wendy...macam sama jer dengan perangai nenek saya!

    ini adalah snack kegemaran nenek saya! bezanya ialah dia masukkan kulit kayu manis sikit... kadang2 dia tukar keledek kepada keladi, saya suka ni! tapi saya makan dengan kelapa parut, yummeh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, what an amusing story! I think I will like this snack. Wah, you ate the whole pot! It must be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy... I could feel the emotion attachment that this dish provides you... with your grandaunt... Maybe I'm too sensitive a guy.. My eyes are slightly wet now.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have sweet potatoes in the fridge, also pandan leaves. will give this a try, Wendy
    thks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...