New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Pickled Cabbage and Vegetables - Chinese Cabbage #3

freshly pickled, still vibrant

My MIL loves eating pickles, and so I made this jar of pickles to be served during reunion dinner as an appetizer.

Today's post is going to be short as I can't wait to be on break. LOL.

I used chinese cabbage, red radish, carrots, cucumber and chillies for this pickle. I wanted a pretty colour combination. The red radish's skin lost its pigment after pickling, sadly..but still has a pink hue



Just shot this pic this morning at 8.30am :)
Pickled Cabbage and Vegetables.
Recipe source: WendyinKK

300gm Chinese cabbage
300gm red radish, carrot and kyuri cucumber (combined weight)
1 heaped Tbsp salt
130gm sugar
100gm rice vinegar
1 red chilli
2 bird's eye chilli

1. Wash and cut vegetables into preferred sizes and shapes.
2. Mix the vegetables with salt thoroughly and let it sit for 1 hour in the fridge. (Toss them every now and then.)
3. Meanwhile bring sugar and vinegar to a boil. Let it cool down.
4. Give the vegetables a good massage then put some of them in your palm and squeeze out all the juices. Repeat the squeezing until all of it are squeezed dry.
5. Place squeezed vegetables in a clean basin and put in clean water. (I use purified water). Repeat squeezing process.
6. Slice the red chilli, half the bird's eye chilli and mix it with the squeezed vegetables.
7. Put the vegetables into a clean jar and pour the vinegar syrup over. Put the lid on and let it pickle for at least 3 days before consuming. (Overturn it from time to time)




See you all on 18th February 2013 with waxed meats. 
Happy Holidays!







18 comments:

  1. So colourful! I love pickles too. I can just eat them like a snack. Better than munching cookies :)
    Have a good break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,
    Just wonder..the vege pickles you eat it as appetizer itself or eat with what?..hheh I normally eat cucumber pickles as one of salad in burger only..hehh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loves pickles......its like I can eat this as a snack! My mouth starts to watering wet when I looked at the photo again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth starts to water just looking at those pickles!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a pretty colors ! Wendy, can we substitute the rice vinegar with different vinegar, such a white grape vinegar or just simple lemon juice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious and still so fresh! Gong Xi Fa Cai to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice colourful pickle. 新年快乐!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy! A colourful far of pickles... I could feel the crunchiness... crunch crunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love pickles too and yours look so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Wendy, I love vegetable pickles very much. For how long does the unfinished pickle keeps well? Do I need to discard the pickling sauce after the 3rd day? I'm looking forward to your postings on waxed meat.
    Happy Chinese New Year to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kimmy,
    No idea cos this is my first time making, as usual pickles last a really long time. My ginger lasts me for years

    ReplyDelete
  12. love all those colours in the jar! and love pickled veg :) anyway, just wanted to drop by to say happy cny :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this pickle, but too lazy to make, dun feel like doing all the chopping :)
    Happy CNY to u and family, Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy,

    I would love to try this at home! I can rely on you for such brilliant recipes...

    Happy CNY to you and your family! Have a good rest and hear from you :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Colourful pickles! Here wishing you and your family happy and prosperous throughout the lunar year

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum yum! I will add more red chili for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just got my new custom japanese nakiri! Time to make this tonight!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...