|freshly pickled, still vibrant|
My MIL loves eating pickles, and so I made this jar of pickles to be served during reunion dinner as an appetizer.
Today's post is going to be short as I can't wait to be on break. LOL.
I used chinese cabbage, red radish, carrots, cucumber and chillies for this pickle. I wanted a pretty colour combination. The red radish's skin lost its pigment after pickling, sadly..but still has a pink hue
|Just shot this pic this morning at 8.30am :)|
Pickled Cabbage and Vegetables.
Recipe source: WendyinKK
300gm Chinese cabbage
300gm red radish, carrot and kyuri cucumber (combined weight)
1 heaped Tbsp salt
100gm rice vinegar
1 red chilli
2 bird's eye chilli
1. Wash and cut vegetables into preferred sizes and shapes.
2. Mix the vegetables with salt thoroughly and let it sit for 1 hour in the fridge. (Toss them every now and then.)
3. Meanwhile bring sugar and vinegar to a boil. Let it cool down.
4. Give the vegetables a good massage then put some of them in your palm and squeeze out all the juices. Repeat the squeezing until all of it are squeezed dry.
5. Place squeezed vegetables in a clean basin and put in clean water. (I use purified water). Repeat squeezing process.
6. Slice the red chilli, half the bird's eye chilli and mix it with the squeezed vegetables.
7. Put the vegetables into a clean jar and pour the vinegar syrup over. Put the lid on and let it pickle for at least 3 days before consuming. (Overturn it from time to time)
See you all on 18th February 2013 with waxed meats.