Monday, July 19, 2010
I read about hummingbird cake in the earlier time of blogging. And there was a recipe in joyofbaking that I've bookmarked for so long. Finally I did this (recipe halved), with minor adaptations, especially to the frosting as we prefer it to be pure cream cheese rather than mixed with butter and sugar.
Hummingbird Cake (This amount can serve 10, easily)
210gm a.p.flour (I used cake/superfine)
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
90ml corn oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
110gm fresh pineapple, finely chopped
200gm mashed bananas
250gm cream cheese
Some chopped toasted pecans
1. Preheat oven to 160/180C. Line the bottom of a 10 inch square pan with non stick baking paper.
2. Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop finely. Set aside. (I did this step the night before)
3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In another large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, pineapple, mashed bananas, and finely chopped pecans.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until combined. 6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.
8. To make frosting, just bring cream cheese to room temperature and beat it until smooth.
9. Cut cake into 3, and spread between each layers 1/3 of the cream cheese. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top layer.
Very muffin like. If you are a muffin lover you might love this. Even the method is muffin method, and the cake is way too moist for our liking. It's only after chiling one day in the fridge, uncovered that the cake feels better to eat. If not the cake sticks to the palate, and the tongue and the saliva glands will be so tired trying to clean the palate. But I don't think I'll make this again, sorry no. Or maybe was the problem due to me using cake flour that made it so fine textured and crumbly???
Anyway, it's a big NO.
But my neighbour loved this and wanted to order this from me. Hahaha, different people different tastebuds.
So, I don't know about you, you might like this.
New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA