New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Stone Fruit Tea Cake again.. with Vanilla


I made this again, Yes I did!!!

I said I will try this again with the original crust recipe and yes I did.

I said I'll use fresh apricots and peaches if I see them, and yes I did

Did I prefer this over the orange crust? Oh yes I did, and I still do.




The first cake never lasted more than 1 day, all clean up. But then, for this, I made this slightly bigger and it took me and my mom and some others 2 days to finish it. It was better the next day, cos the moisture from the fruits penetrated the cake and it was so lovely.

Oh by the way, my peaches are darn sour too, besides my super sour apricots.... so instead of sprinkling the sugar on the crust, I sprinkled a generous amount of sugar on the fruits, before I toppped with the dollops of batter, and skipped the sugar for the crust. It was still slightly sourish after it came out from the oven. And weirdly, the sourness were greatly reduced the next day. The cake was sweet and flavourful. Hahaha!!! I don't know why!

1 Tbsp butter (for greasing pan), or just like the pan with paper and skip the butter
200gm all purpose flour
2/3 tsp baking powder
2/3 tsp salt
130gm sugar (pulverized with seeds from 1 vanilla bean)
115gm butter
2 eggs
Extra sugar for sprinkling.
3 peaches, 4 apricots and 1 black plum, or any other stone fruit that you like, cherries, nectarines or fresh prunes

1. Preheat the oven to 160/180C. Prepare a 7X12 baking tray, buttered or lined with paper, or just use a 9 inch round or square pan.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. With a mixer, cream the sugar and butter together on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
3.. Add the flour in 2 or three shifts, mixing just until a smooth dough forms. It will be pretty soft still.
Divide dough into 2 portions, one slightly larger than the other. Dollop the larger portion of batter onto prepared pan. Use a spoon to press down the dollops and spread it around.
4. Cut fruits into small pieces. Scatter the fruit over the dough. Generously sprinkle with sugar if they are sour. Dollop small balls of dough over the fruit. It will look charming no matter how even the blobs are, so don't worry too much about getting them perfect.
5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes (I baked for 35), or until lightly golden and firm. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.

By the way if you want to know how much this cake cost me, almost RM30 and it's a week's lunch.


I'll be watching out for late season stone fruits as these early season ones are just so sour. My 2nd elder brother once worked for a summer(for fun) in a fruit orchard in New Zealand, and he told me about late season fruits, and all the best ones were not sold, but they all went into the tummies of all the fruit pickers. He was a proud "I'm a cherry picker" fella, with t shirts as his proof.

This time, it definately had a more rustic look... Simply looked homemade :)
Made and photographed in Kampar


24 comments:

  1. Woo...serve it up with some cold vanilla ice cream is gonna be so good! Everyone is making lovely fruit tarts lately...very tempting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome ! Never eat anything like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I shouldn't delay making it. All that fruit in a thin layer of cake! Gee I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I know wat I can do if I have sour stone fruits :p. The cake looks yummy and fruity, I wil like to have a slice or more :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bookmarked this recipe, but have yet to try, will try out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. crying...too beautiful hahahaah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at the fruits and the cakes, make me drooling. I must try this! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bee,
    These fruits don't come whole year round, so when the time comes, it's time to bake with them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MnHL,
    This thing never ever appeared in bakeries, you must make them yourself or someone to bake this for you.

    There are mnay cakes that I've never seen or eaten before, if not for blogging, I'll still very much be... so katak about baking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Busygran,
    Oh no you shan't delay any longer!!!!
    The stone fruit season won't last long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jess,
    It's always wasted when the fruits are sour hoh, but you can always bake them and add lots of sugar!!! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sonia,
    Can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DG,
    Sure, when can I see it? Quick quick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some of the stone fruits are not at its peak yet that is why it is sour. But the peaches here are very sweet and juice though. I plan to make this again next week to bring it to a friend house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, I just love love the top

    ReplyDelete
  16. look nice but too sweet i scare!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gert,
    Will I be seeing it again on your blog then?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pigpigscorner,
    Can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jennifurla,
    Yup, it was the top that made me try this in the first place... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Voon,
    Please look only.. no curi makan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made the stone fruit tea cake this morning, thank you for the recipe! It was simple to make and turned out delicious. I posted it on my blog. Thank you,

    megi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your recipes.They all look yummy & you took great pics!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...