Thursday, January 29, 2015
A simple black sesame cookie with only 4 ingredients, that is if you find toasting the sesame not difficult :)
Black may not look auspicious for Lunar New Year, but i think most of us, do wear black during the festival nowadays. We have modernized, right? Hehehe.
I used to 'not like' black sesame, but I guess, my taste have changed. I am in love with it now. I used to find it bitter, but then I found that, if the sesame was toasted correctly.. it will taste awesome. Thanks to store bought sesame tang yuan :)
The composition of this cookie is almost like a shortbread, except that I increased the portion for dry ingredients, if not, I don't think I will enjoy working with the texture. If you still find the dough to be too sticky to roll with, add a Tbsp of flour, but not too much, or else, it might turn out not as good.
Black Sesame Cookies
Recipe by WendyinKK
100gm salted butter, softened
60gm icing sugar, sifted
120gm plain flour
50gm finely ground toasted black sesame (DIY recipe)
Decoration: Black sesame seeds
1. Put the ground sesame into your mill/grinder and put in some of the measured flour. Grind it together. It will make the sesame finer. Mix the powdered sesame with the rest of the flour, set aside.
2. Mix softened butter with icing sugar until combined.
3. Pour in all the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
4. Leave the mixture for around 15 minutes, and it will be rollable.
5. Shape cookies according to preference. If you want to roll out and use a cookie cutter, a cool dough will be easier to work with.
6. Decorate with some black sesame seeds.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for around 15 minutes until the edges are slightly golden. Baking ime depends on the size of your cookies. The cookies might be slightly soft when they are hot from the oven, and will crisp up upon cooling.
8. Keep in air tight containers.
My daughters who weren't keen in the beginning... changed their minds after I insisted they take a bite. They told me these were good, despite seeing their hated seeds as deco.
It took only one night and my son secretly finished them all.
I don't know if I should be angry with him for secretly eating or happy because he likes it so much.