This way of cooking chayote is easy and nice. I have never eaten chayote other than those cooked with Chinese cooking methods.
This dish is part of Nasi Liwet Solo.
Sayur Labu Siam
1 chayote (mine was 350gm), cut into thick matchsticks
2 red chilli, grind to a paste
4 shallots, sliced
3 clove garlic, sliced
2 lemon grass
2 salam leaves
1/4 cup coconut milk
1. Heat wok and put in 2 Tbsp of oil. Saute sliced shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add in chilli paste and saute until glossy.
2. Put in lemon grass, salam leaves and chayote.
3. Add in 1/4 cup of water and cook until chayote starts to soften.
4. Add in coconut milk and season with salt.
5. Cook until chayote softens to your preference. Do not cook until mushy.