New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pork Trotters in Black Vinegar 猪脚醋



Tomorrow will be Lyanne's 12th morning.

Today is just the 11th day, we're making it a day earlier so that there will be more people eating it. Tomorrow's Sunday, and Mike's shop's closed, that's why there's less people around.

I'm a Cantonese, and according to Cantonese traditions, on the 12th day, we're supposed to eat Pork Trotters in Black Vinegar. Some even give this dish away to relatives and friends as gifts.

It's not confined just as a confinement dish..
It can be served on any other day, just that on this day, the 12th day of confinement is celebrated with this dish.

** Be warned that I like mine really sour. Do not add the whole bottles of vinegars without tasting in advance.

Ingredients


1 Pork trotter (chopped)
300gm -400gm old + young ginger (how much depends on individuals and the intensity of the ginger used, skin on or off up to ur preference, smashed or not, up 2 U)300gm molasses sugar
100gm sugar (optional, depends on sourness of the gravy)
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp Sesame Seed oil
200gm Black beans
1.5L water
1 bottle sweet black vinegar (720ml) (Try half bottle first, adjust later)
1 bottle sour black vinegar (623ml) (try half bottle first, adjust later)

Method
1. Wash and dry black beans. Dry roast them on the wok on low heat until they start to crack. (this step can be done in advance)


2. Place the beans in a big pot and boil them in 1.5L water for an hour.
3. Meanwhile, scald chopped pork trotter. Drain well.
4. Heat wok and put in sesame seed oil.
5. Put in ginger and saute for a minute.
6. Put in scalded pork trotters and salt. Mix well and fry until dry.

7. Transfer (6) into the big pot with the beans boiling in it.
8. Boil on medium heat for 1 hour.

9. Pour in both black vinegars and sugars. If too sour, add in more white sugar.

10. Bring to a boil and simmer for another 10 minutes, and turn off the heat.



****** This version is very sour, just the way I like it. If u can't stand the sourness, u can reduce the amount of vinegar used, or just dilute it with more water.


好姐

3 comments:

  1. I have not try using black beans but my mum did. I ate lots of vinegar trotter during both my confinement period.... hey we have something in common , I like it sour too...hahahaha. You are so lucky to have such a good confinement lady to care for you.... during my first confinement , I had a really bad experience with a Malaysian confinement lady from hell.... she caused my 1 week old boy to have severe " lau sai " and had to be hospitalised for 5 days

    ReplyDelete
  2. AFTH,
    Aiyor what did she do??? Fed him stale milk?

    I used the same confinement lady for both my kids, cos she's very easy going and does whatever I tell her, and no superstitious thinking. Her cooking is just so so, but it's her easy going attitude that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy , after feeding my boy , she just pour away the milk into the bin placed below a bedside table and soaked the dirty bottle in a clean pot of water soaked with clean sterilized bottles... why she did this , it was because she wants to continue sleeping and lazy to wash the bottle in the kitchen... there are few more scary incidents which forced us to terminate her service just after 2 weeks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...