New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pork Noodle ~ Chu Yoke Fun - Soupy Noodles #2



Frankly, I have never eaten this before I went to KL to study. It seems to be everywhere in KL, but I haven’t seen this around in other places that much. Is it so? Maybe I didn't notice. But this definitely didn’t exist in Kampar back then. My first experience was eating in USJ Goodyear Court 5.

This bowl of noodles calls for pork overload. To non pork eaters: I’m sorry, but this is so so delicious.

There was once in my life where I abstained from pork for almost 2 years. Not even touching Cha Siew Pau, serious. Somehow during 1996-1998, pork seemed to smell horrible. There’s a smell that lingers in my nose after eating it. That was why I was so so scared to eat it. Even some noodles that were cooked in pork bones broth smell horrible to me. I have partially recovered from this phobia, but not totally. I’m still sensitive to the smell. Nowadays, if I happen to eat pork that has this smell, I’ll ban that shop right away. But homecooked pork don’t have this problem. Wonder why?




I didn’t really plan to cook this, but since I happened to buy a pack of pork balls and had lots of pork in my freezer, I decided to try my hand at cooking this delicious noodle.

I chose not to really go full throttle with pork. Made anchovy broth base instead of pork bones broth. I always find, broth and soups taste best when meat+seafood is combined, not either one only. Umami levels are the highest this way. So, I chose to use anchovy broth. I also didn’t use pork fat (didn’t have this at home) and pork liver. I don’t eat liver of any sort, I’d puke, literally vomit my guts out when liver touches my tongue. I tried to touch liver, but my body totally rejects it. PUKE PUKE PUKE!

Sorry for being disgusting…. This noodle is still very delicious without the liver and will taste even better if pork fat is used.


Chu Yoke Fun @ Pork Noodles 猪肉粉
Recipe source: WendyinKK
Serves : 6 (2 cups broth per pax)

150gm pork slices*
300gm minced pork*
24 pcs pork balls (as much as you like)
500gm yellow noodles
200gm dry rice vermicelli
500gm Indian Mustard greens (Sawi, Choy sum)
Garlic oil (refer below)
Crispy shallots (refer below)
Crispy Pork Fat (optional)
Anvhovy broth base (refer below)

For dipping : soy sauce + bird’s eye chilli

Preparation
1. Prepare garlic oil, crispy shallots and broth base.
2. Marinate pork slices with ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar, good dash of pepper, 1 tsp cornstarch and 1 tsp sesame oil. Set aside. (divide into 6 portions if you like)
3. Marinate pork mince with ¾ tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, good dash of pepper, 1 Tbsp cornstarch and ½ Tbsp sesame oil. Set aside. (divide into 6 portions if you prefer)
4. Soak rice vermicelli in tap water until softened(5-10 mins will do). Drain and set aside.
5. Rinse yellow noodles with boiling water. Drain and set aside. (if noodles isn’t too oily, it’s ok to skip this step)
6. Clean mustard greens and cut into 2 inch sections. Separating the stem and leaves.


Cooking (Do not be lazy. Prepare this individually)
1. Put 2 cups of broth (500ml, my ladle is 125ml so I just use 4 ladles) into a saucepan on high heat. While waiting for it to boil, put in 4 pork balls and some mustard stems.
2. When it has boiled, with a teaspoon, scrape minced meat by the teaspoonful (5-6 tsp) into the boiling broth (no need to be perfect). Put in pork slices. Bring to a boil again.
3. Put in single portion noodles+vermicelli and mustard leaves. Bring back to a boil and pour everything into serving bowl. Top with 1 tsp garlic oil and some crispy shallots (and crispy pork fat). Serve immediately.

*******************************************
Garlic oil and crispy shallots

4 shallots, thinly sliced
½ bulb of garlic, finely chopped
4 Tbsp oil, or more
(best is use pork fat, cut raw fat into small cubes, fry on low heat until oil oozes out and turns crispy. Retain the oil to cook, but I didn’t use this)

Heat wok and put in oil. Fry shallots on medium low heat until golden and crunchy. Push it to the side to drain off excess oil. Dish up. With the oil (add more if needed), sauté garlic on medium low heat until golden. Dish up together with oil. Do not wash the wok. Use it to sauté the dried anchovies.

*******************************************
Broth base

1 cup dried anchovies
3L water
1 tsp sugar
Generous dash of pepper
Salt to taste (amount is dependent on the anchovies)

Rinse dried anchovies and sauté in the oily wok (see above) until fragrant (not golden). Put into a pot and put in water. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 15 minutes or until soup turns whitish. Add more water if it has reduced too much.
Put in sugar, pepper and salt to taste. No need to oversalt. Strain broth, discard the anchovies.

25 comments:

  1. There are few famous stall in KL. Like one at brickfields very nice but moved already. Kepong also got. I likes with the lards..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favourite thing to order in hawker stalls!! Yum yum..i also dun like liver, i always pass the liver to hubster. My mom used to make me eat liver and i wud be like chugging it down with tons of water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cook this noodle soup almost every week for my kids....minus the pork balls and pork fat though. :)) yes the anchovies soup is a must! Slurp! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. wah.. another idea for my lunch today.. no need to crack head already.. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is what my mother always prepared for my breakfast.....Yum.....yum....

    ReplyDelete
  6. lapar giler lar see this...my favorite...secretly tell u...my nickname is Chu Yuk San
    wahahaha this show how much i love pork!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sabrina,
    me too!


    Jes,
    It seems KL very famous for this la.


    Sharon,
    why not ask them not to put at all? for me, I just ask for mince and balls and lots of vege


    Bee,
    Hehe, anchovies broth is nice hoh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hody,
    Warm and cozy for mornings, u very hangfook la!


    Pei San,
    U openly told the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made your Chu Yoke Fun looking very appetizing! I drink and sip finished the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sedap! Sedap! "Do not be lazy. Prepare this individually" Wahahahha! I feel like you are talking directly to me, I sekali gus make a few bowls :) I agree that some pork have a strong smell, maybe they did not clean it properly. So far the one bought from Pearl Pork in Jusco is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wah Wendy,

    Chu Yuk Fan minus pork fat, minus MSG and less salt but full of love.. lucky family!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Wendy, long time no see. I saw this post of yours & can't help myself but to drop by very quickly! I have long been waiting to learn to cook this but I don't have a recipe. There is 1 store in Taiping which I don't mind to eat for breakfast everyday becoz it it so good that I order an upsize bowl. I urged my mum to kacau the aunty to ask for her recipe but mum still hasn't done anything. This store is close to where my mum is staying. Anyway, I'm going to take your recipe home. By the way, the "chu yoke fun" that I had which I believe used pork livers to cook becoz the soup is so sweet, I don't eat liver but don't mind of drinking the soup that is cooked by it. Somehow, I don't dare to touch the bloody fresh liver becoz I'm scare of blood! Ok, thanks for sharing & take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hm.. i m gonna to try this out .. gd idea for lunch! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another delicious recipe. That bowl of chu yoke fun looks so so good. Thanks Wendy. I might try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, because hubster wants the liver, he said dun ask them to leave it out, he will eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yums! Super love the pork noodles! I always had mine every week at the same shop where you first tasted pork noodles: USJ Goodyear Court 5!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum! love this. the coffee shop near my house serves a superb pork noodle - time to head there tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm...I love this soupy, porky noodle, hehe...
    I cook several types of noodles recently, due to easy to prepare and it takes less time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. my mum lieks to combine egg noodles with kway teow instead, otherwise this looks almost exactly like home in a bowl. ahhh..... cravings....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think serving individual is another key of getting nice bowl of noddle soup besides fresh ingredients. Going to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. if i remember correctly, i also had my first pork noodles in kl. No liver for me too but intestines are fine :) that chilli padi is a must!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You just showed how simple this is to prepare. One more to my list of quick and easy meals...can't wait to try it out. Thanks so much Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum going to make this soon googled on the internet and I found this, thanks Wendy !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...