Pan Fried Spicy Tofu Cubes with Basil and Mint - Pressed Tofu # 2
My mint was thriving in my garden. Lots of it. I can't consume it that fast because my hubby isn't a fan of it. I use it mostly for garnishes and give most of them away to relatives.
When I saw this dish on Elin's blog, I knew I must make this. But there's one problem. I don't have the same tofu as she does. So, I adapted the method to what I could get and use.
My thai basil was also growing furiously and needs lots of trimming..... I used them together with mint in this dish.
Cook this dish not too long before serving. After leaving the dish for a while, the tofu could start releasing moisture and the tofu crust will not stay crispy. I don't know when exactly it started turning soft, because I cooked this 1 hour ahead of dinner time. It is still delicious, just no longer crispy when we finally had it during dinner.
½ bulb garlic, finely chopped
Few bird’s eye chilli, finely sliced
½ tsp salt
Handful of thai basil leaves (your preference)
Handful of mint leaves (your preference)
1. Cut tofu into cubes.
2. Mix rice flour, corn starch and 5 spice powder together.
3. Coat tofu cubes with the spiced flour and pan fry until lightly golden and surface feels dry and crispy. Drain and dish up.
4. With some oil(about 1.5Tbsp) remaining in pan/wok, use medium low heat and fry garlic until almost golden, put in sliced chilli and fry until garlic is golden and crispy. Put in salt. (No rush, make sure the garlic is dry and crispy)
5. Turn heat to high and put in fried tofu cubes, lightly toss around, let it cook for about 1-2 minutes.
6. Put in basil and mint, toss it few times until both herbs wilt.
7. Dish up and serve immediately.
*I prefer to use a pan to cook this so that I don't need to toss the tofu cubes at step#5 with a spatula . I use the handle of the pan to shake the pan and toss the tofu around.