New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, August 5, 2013

Kampar Jau Yun @ Fried Fish Dough Balls 金宝炸丸 - Perak MFF #4


Fishball Noodles, Kampar style, has spread it wings out of town to Klang Valley  in recent years due to the 'migration' of Mdm Sau Ying. I've seen her in person at her stall at Ming Tien, Taman Megah. My family knew her  because our family business was very near to hers back in Kampar. She didn't recognise me, but only my brothers. Yikes, haha! Back when Mdm Sau Ying was still in Kampar, her noodle stall was infront of the Kampar town basketball court, one of the popular breakfast choices in town.

Those of you who ate it before will find the soup and the "liu" a bit different from others. Liu is the stuff that comes with the noodles. Kampar fishball noodles comes with delicious fishballs, Foo Pei (Stuffed beancurd skin with fish paste), Pork Balls (with some bits of cuttlefish) and the weird fried dough called "Jau Yun". But one is always free to dictate which one you want more or less or just that one thing.



Noodle stalls in Kampar, mostly makes their own "liu". Stalls that uses factory made liu  may still stay in business if they are lucky, but rarely gets popular. Jau Yun is one of those liu  that one can't get out of Kampar, although you can get the other liu  in other places, but not Jau Yun. Not every stall makes it the same. Some are sweet and crunchy, some chewy, some has more fish, some just floury... but no matter what, we Kamparians love it, embracing the differences of each stall's Jau Yun. We love them all the same.

Initially I wanted to do the whole thing.. from the noodle soup, the fishball (the process is a bit different, and that explains the different texture from regular fishballs)and everything else, but how much time do I have for this? I don't, sadly.



The last time I made Jau Yun was more than 20 years ago. It was a collaboration between my brother and I. But we cheated with some pork, but no one knew. Our friends from MYF all ate happily. This time, I made it with just fish, and I'm glad with the result.

The ones sold in town,uses MSG as flavouring, like most hawker food do and I know many do detest its usage. So I have replaced it with an anchovy cube of which it still does contain MSG (if you can get a MSG free cube, then good for you). Personally I grew up eating MSG at home, so I'm ok with its usage as long as it's not too much.

I know many Kamparians out of town are missing this like crazy, because I always get asked on how to make this. I hope this recipe will be of use to you.



Kampar Jau Yun
Tasted and recreated by WendyinKK
Makes around 45-50 pcs

100gm fish flesh (I used Yellowtail Fusilier or locally known as Tofu Fish, weighed without the skin)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
White pepper powder
1 anchovy stock cube (or 1/4 tsp MSG plus more salt)
50gm water

150gm tapioca starch

1. In a food processor, pulse fish flesh with salt, sugar, pepper and anchovy cube until pasty. Add in water and pulse again until a paste forms. Put in starch and pulse again until it forms coarse crumbs. If it looks pasty, add more starch.
2. Get some of the crumbs and gently form them into balls with fingers. Do not roll them, press  or compact them. Make them as small as a marble, they will expand slightly when fried.
3. Deep fry them on medium high heat until golden. Drain and let them air for a while before eating.

*I did 2 batches and my first batch was drier than seen in these pics. The taste was actually better. Maybe I washed my fish too much this round



The same recipe, just that one fish was wetter than the other. The crumblier dough produced a crispy ball, imagine Hoong Kee's 鸿记 version  ,and the slightly wetter dough produced a slightly denser one, almost like "Lum Kee's 林记". 

I am submitting this to Malaysian Food Fest Perak Month hosted by WendyinKK of Table for 2 or more


22 comments:

  1. Wendy~~
    Thx ur sharing!!!
    I super love tis kampar fried fish ball!!!!
    million thx!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my all time favourites....

    **Anderson Mama**

    ReplyDelete
  3. My much awaited fried fish balls!! Thank you again! I ad wanted to make this for a long time and I been trying to find my Kampar aunty to ask for her recipe unfortunate....I guess Samantha Cheah should have this secret recipe hehehehe......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chai Xian didi , Boy Next DoorAugust 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM

    Finally all the secret recipes of Kampar's food are revealed!! HOORAY!! Thankiu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Wendy for this long awaited recipe. It is my favourite which I couldn't find anywhere else. Doesn't sound complicated but it sure taste special. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this jau yun alot alot.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUmmy, will try this out. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, I know I can't stop eating this fried fish balls dipped in chilli sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, yummy snack!! good idea for kid's bento box too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy, this is good. yummy. love this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, another recipe revealed! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting looking fishballs, love the crumbly texture. Wow, Kampar sounds like a foodie heaven, and all these food I've never tried before! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ANother kampar perak dish I've never heard of- looks liek I've got loads to learn. This looks like KFC popcorn chicken he he he, just probably loads healthier and yummier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! My husband just came back from UTAR Run in Kampar yesterday and brought this back. It's my first taste and I love it although it has turned a bit soft. And suddenly today I see this post. My all time favourite "liu" is the fried "sar kot" but I have found a new favourite. Will definitely try this, thanks a bunch!

    Jennifer from Ipoh

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy,
    Looks really yummy!
    What other types of fish can we use? Snapper / Kembung/ tenggiri??

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susanna,
    Tenggiri will give firmer results, I haven't tried other fishes yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Wendy for the helpful info. I will try to get some tenggiri next time I go shopping to try this recipe. Although I'm not from Ipoh - ur pics of the Jau Yun looks so tempting...I just have to try making some myself! :)

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susanna,
    This snack does not originate from Ipoh,but Kampar.
    If u're local, or Singaporean, yellow fusilier shouldn't be hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wendy,
    Silly me! ( Face going red ) ...aiyoh ...my geography is so teruk! I thought Kampar is a district in Ipoh! I'm from Melaka but now residing in Perth, Australia. Unfortunately, I've never ever seen this yellow fusilier here. :(

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi i would love to try this recipe out. I do not have a food processor can u use a normal blender? i do have a stick blender so can i use that? however i read in some recipes u need the have the process the mixture in one direction. Maybe i pulse the fish flesh using the blender and then add the flour and seasonings using a cake mixer?
    if i use tengirri would it be ok?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lilian,
    You can prepare the fish paste in the blender, but u have to mix in the flour in a bowl because it will be dough-ey. There is no issue even if you want to do it traditionally on the chopping board. I mix it left and right, never bother

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lilian,
    You can prepare the fish paste in the blender, but u have to mix with the flour in a bowl because it will be too firm for the blender. There is no issue even if you want to do it traditionally on the chopping board. I mix it left and right, never bother.
    Tenggiri will give you firmer results.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...