I had open house for my friends, and I made lasagne for them, they are fans of cheese and all things close to the cow.
Did some research and I find that the cheeses that they use is kind of rare in Malaysia, and the most important is they are darn pricey here.
I saw on pioneerwomancooks the way she does hers was easy, but finding hot sausages is rather difficult here. She uses cottage cheese, mozarella and grated parmesan... I just downed it all to mozarella. Used fresh tomatoes and did away with the hot sausages. I added cream to the white layer to make it creamier... Some of my friends can't take beef, so I changed it to chicken... the rest of it, stayed kinda similiar.
So, here's my way of doing it, using easier to find ingredients.
Wendy's Lasagna Recipe
1 Kg minced chicken
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1 bulb Big onion (finely chopped)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp dried basil
2 Tbsp dried parsley
2 cups pureed fresh tomatoes
1 large can San Remo tomato paste (I think it's around 500gm)
2 tsp salt
Saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Put in minced chicken and cook until brown. Add in tomato puree, tomato paste, parsley, basil and salt. Cook mixture until it is almost dry. Dish up and let mixture cool down
White Sauce base
1 cup whipping cream
300gm grated Mozarella Cheese
2 Tbsp dried parsley
Mix everything together well.
1 Packet of instant lasagne sheets (250gm)
200gm grated mozarella cheese
1 Tbsp butter
- Butter the base of a 9 X13 inch baking pan.
- Lay a layer of lasagna sheets on the bottom.
- Spoon carefully half the white base onto the lasagne sheets.
- Spoon 1/3 of the tomato base onto the white layer, making sure not to disturb the white base.
- Lay another layer of lasagne sheets on top of the tomato base layer.
- Repeat step 3, 4 and 5.
- Top the lasagna sheets with the final 1/3 of the tomato base and sprinkle grated mozarella on top generously.
- Bake at 170C for 30 minutes.
I made this 2 days in advance and kept it in the fridge until my friends arrived. Made them wait for lunch..... hahaha!!!