It's a lovely condiment.
Spicy and fragrant.
It's quite easy to cook, because I used canned chickpeas. Cheating...haha.
Punjabi Chole Masala
Recipe source: Veg Recipes of India
1 can chickpeas /garbanzo beans
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Chole Masala Mix *
1 smallish tej patta ( Indian bay leaf )
1/2 tsp fennel
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin
1 dried red chilli
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder ( not cassia cinnamon )
*Toast until fragrant, let cool and grind until fine.
1. Heat a wok/pan on medium heat with 3 Tbsp oil. Put in grated ginger and cook until it is fragrant.
2. Add in onions and cook until softened and translucent.
3. Add in tomatoes and 1/4 tsp salt and cook until the tomato turns mushy and the whole thing looks glossy with oil.
4. Put in masala mix, chilli powder and garam masala and cook for around 10 seconds.
5. Pour in the whole can of beans (with liquids). Cook until desired consistency. Add more water and seasoning if needed. **
**I added some sugar because it was a bit too spicy for my husband.
I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Indian Subcontinent Month,
hosted by Alvin of Chef and Sommelier