My kids bring food for school recess almost everyday. They prefer homemade and homecooked food rather than eating canteen food.
I made these one fine afternoon and my kids raved about them. It's the first time I'm recording this attempt down as I always make them without a fixed recipe. I just put in whatever I feel like putting.
The texture of sponge cakes made with whole egg method is different comparing to egg separation method. I find it more stable, less prone to having a waist, provided the eggs are beaten well enough.
You can bake them in a large pan for 40 minutes or just bake them in small paper cups for 17-20 minutes. But baking them small saves on electricity.
Chocolate Sponge CupsRecipe by WendyinKK
5 extra large eggs (Grade A eggs, around 67g each )
50gm brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
50gm butter, melted
50gm milk, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
80gm plain flour
20gm cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven at 160(fan)/180C. Line cupcake pan with liners. I use three 6-hole pans to fit into my built in oven.
2. Beat eggs with salt and both sugar on high speed until ribbon stage. (12 mins highest speed on hand mixer, 12 mins on speed 7 Kitchenaid)
3. Combine butter, milk and vanilla. Pour this into one side of the mixing bowl.
4. Pour the sifted flour onto the other side of the bowl.
5. Mix on low speed until combined, or fold with a big balloon whisk.
6. Spoon batter into liners until 80% full, about 7mm from the rim.
7. Bake for 19 minutes, or until done.
*To make 12 cakes, use 4 Grade C eggs (55gm) and use 2/3 of the other ingredients. For example: 60gm sugar, 34gm brown sugar.