New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Squid Curry



Bought a nice thick squid from the night market and I love squid.

I went through my kitchen to see what I have and cooked this. I'm not sure what to call it, taste is a bit like Thai Red Curry, but I didn't put in coriander root, nor did I use any kaffir lime rind, but just the leaf. There are no spices in it like an Indian curry.



I served it with white rice and raw cucumber slices. Lazy me just cooked one dish for dinner.
I didn't find this to be spicy, and my 10-yo daughter loved it. If you prefer it to be hot, add in some bird's eye chilli into the spice paste.

I happen to have a bit of torch ginger left after baking my Torch Ginger Chiffon Cake, so I just sprinkled it on. It will be great to have some, ok to have none. Doesn't really matter. Kaffir lime leaf and torch ginger helps to reduce any fishy smell, just incase there is.

OK, here's the recipe.


Squid Curry

Recipe by WendyinKK 

350gm squid, clean and cut
1/2 cup coconut milk (1/2 fruit)
1/2 red onion, cut into thin wedges
2 kaffir lime leaf, sliced
Some torch ginger, sliced

Grind to a paste
3 red chilli
3 clove garlic
4 shallots
1/2 red onion
4 inches lemongrass
1 inch ginger

Seasoning
1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt to taste

1. Heat wok and put in 3-4 Tbsp of oil. Cook spice paste on medium low heat until it looks glossy.
2. Add in 2/3 cup of water, and seasonings. After it comes back to a boil, cook it for another 2 minutes. Turn heat to high.
3. Add in squid and onion wedges. Stir to coat squid with spice paste.
4. When squid starts releasing liquid, add in coconut milk and kaffir lime leaf. Stir it and keep on stirring gently until squid is cooked, it won't take long, probably 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Dish up and sprinkle with more kaffir lime leaf shreds and Torch ginger, if preferred.




Squid cutting technique:
1. Peel the squid. and split the body.
2. Score the inside surface with a sharp knife, taking care not to cut through.
3. Cut into smaller pieces as prefered.

Reason for doing so: Just in case the squid is tough, the scoring makes chewing easier.
This technique can be used on thick squids. If they are small, it's ok to cut them into rings.
Take note that overcooked squid will taste tough too.



So , do you like the body?
Or do you like the tentacles like Lydia does?

Which is your favourite part of the squid?


Happy School Holidays 
to all parents and students!!
Have fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...