New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pork Stew 卤猪肉 - Bellygood # 2




This is a popular home cooked dish. After blogging I got to know that Hokkiens call this Tau Yew Bak, but my family being Cantonese, calls this Lou Chu Yoke 卤猪肉. As in Pork Stew.

My mom cooks this so often that I almost got sick of it when I was in my teens. Being her, using just one pot and being able to cook this in advance makes this one of her favs. So often that we eat this almost weekly.
Sometimes she'll throw in some dried chilli, sometimes none. But basically she goes with the same few ingredients. My mom will saute the aromatics in the clay pot and then throw in the pork and seasonings, cook it for a while and then pour in the water to simmer. I on the other hand, prefers to cook the pork with seasonings until the meat is browned and oil starts to ooze out. Then only I put in the water. I don't own a clay pot, so I just cook this either in the wok or in a small pot.

If you are lazy to cook more dishes but want variety, throw in some deep fried tofu and hard boiled eggs and fish them out before serving on a separate plate, and you'll have 3 dishes from that one pot, LOL. Talk about being convenient, mom, I'm learning from you.

My mom's version is sweeter and more robust, compared to some other versions, cooked by other people that I've eaten before. I'm just describing her version, and not saying hers is better than yours. Each family will have their own versions.



Pork Stew 卤猪肉
Recipe source: WendyinKK
Recreated from : My mom's version

600gm pork belly (skin on), cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
20 white peppercorns, cracked
1 star anise
1 inch ginger
3 cloves garlic, skin on, smashed
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with some water

Seasnonings
3 Tbsp light soy sauce
2 Tbsp dark soy sauce (use less if using dark caramel sauce)
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp Shao Xing wine


1. In a small pot, put in 1-2 Tbsp of oil. Saute ginger, garlic, peppercorns and star anise until fragrant and garlic looks slightly golden.
2. Put in pork belly and fry until meat looks opaque.
3. Put in seasonings and cook until the neat dries up and you can see more oil in the pot. It will smell awesome at this point.
4. Put in water, enough to cover the pork. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 1 hour, or until meat is tender.
5. Thicken gravy with cornstarch mixture until preferred consistency.

25 comments:

  1. Wendy, you got me scratching my computer screen trying to get at the tau yew bak. This is my all time favorite pork dish and I love it with hard boiled eggs inside. Its almost lunch time, hope the chap fan stall got tau yew bak today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good with a bowl of hot teochew porridge....hungry just looking at it. Temptress alright! Wa...must not let WB sees this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my...be still my heart. This is definitely making its way to my dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wahaha...i ate this many times also =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, my mum cooked this almost every week, as you say easy dish. Most times I go for the firm beancurd and occassionally the intestines. Must be one of the favourite family dish otherwise she won't be cooking it weekly, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Braised or Stew pork belly is my all time favourite! And it is easy to cook too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just cooked this 2 days ago! Ingredients all same except I put pepper instead of peppercorns! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy, if dun eat pork belly, what other part of the pork can i substitute with? sorry , but i m a noob at cooking..=)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This evergreen dish is a must for every household. Tasted even better when let it mature the next day. The basic ingredients is the same, it is up to us to experiement with different elements like adding tau pok, hard boiled eggs, fried beancurd, dried chili. It's a good make and freeze dish.

    Like Jaques, I am not keen on belly, but I subsitute with other cuts. I'm not sure what it is called in english, I hope Wendy could assist me on this.

    In Cantonese, the other cuts like 上肉 and 碗子肉 is good options too. Even trotters are good.

    I tried with chicken thigh and drumstick before but the cooking time have to be reduced as farmed chicked is quite tender. If you could get free range chicken, that would be great!

    Now I know what to cook this weekend. Thank you Wendy for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I burst out laughing when you said you had this during your teens almost every week ...
    That reminds me of my mom's lazy or rather convenient food during my teens too. It's something similar, but without the star anise. :)
    She just not the type of person like that star anise smell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phong Hong,
    that sounds scary, LOL!


    Elin,
    Show him, tempt him kao kao..but dun cook for him


    Sharon,
    haha, and let him banjir the rice again?



    PC Joanne,
    hahaha, you still remember? REally very very often, right?


    Kimmy,
    We eat whatever mom cooks with complains, hahaha.
    It's nice, but whatever that's nice will turn not nice when eaten too frequent. Scale of utility :)


    Mel,
    yawoh, very easy and the best is can cook ahead


    Jeannie,
    my mom prefers peppercorn, cos can "pau" it and make it fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. leo,
    thanks


    Jaques,
    Ribs or shoulder will be nice.
    Even shin/shank. Just don't use loin, that'll make the dish .... ewww
    You can mix ribs with shoulder or shin.


    Han Annie,
    Sorry, I don't think I know what those cuts are. I'm still quite a noob to parts of the pig.
    Making this with chicken is yummy too and i prefer it with more ginger


    New Kid,
    LOL... My mom is famous for repeating dishes very often, LOL. I'm glad I'm not alone, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom too like to cook this dish for us so often and I am not a big fan of it either when I was young. But now I don't mind having it once a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! my mum also does a simialr version, with mushrooms and hard boiled eggs. sometimes tofu, sometimes tow key. sometimes with spices. hah! liek you said, this is such a simple versatile but delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wendy! I want I want! Sinfully good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i did this today, and biy, it is belly belly good!!! thanks Wendy! I put 2/3 shoulder meat and 1/3 belly pork..=) finally a yummy tau yu bak and no more instant mix..=)

    ReplyDelete
  18. very very nice fatty pork belly!! i also never knew the name tau yew bak until i started reading blogs, i also know them as lou chu yoke! yeah,each has their own family recipe, some never use star anise and some prefers smoked garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is my favourite food...i like my mum cook with egg and "tau kon"....yummy....yummy.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jaques,
    thanks for the feedback, good to hear no more pre mixes. Actually I never knew TYB seasoning packs exists!



    lena,
    Our area no one calls it TYB or Bak Yau Chu Yoke, all call lou chu yoke, right?
    Cantonese area looooo. Actually my grandaunt's recipe never uses star anise, it was my mom suka suka.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good morning! I tried this dish, super yummy! Thx alot for great recipe! I always cook this dish but followed mum's recipe with the 5 spice. Taste different but good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tried this a couple of weeks ago...i used a mix of pork belly and pork shoulder. Didn't measure the ingredients, just eye ball 'em. It was good. It was very good I'm afraid. Couldn't help myself from eating it. What's more, even my husband was raving about it! Thank you for the recipe.

    Menaka

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...