New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, May 22, 2009

Cantonese Rice Dumpling 广东咸肉粽



It's almost Duan Wu Jie again!

This time I made the real Cantonese version of savoury rice dumpling.
Just the way Grandaunty used to make.
Cantonese Rice dumpling doens't use soy sauce in its rice, and neither it is fried.
If u want to make it easier to wrap, u can stir fry it a while to make it slightly sticky, but bear in mind, no soy sauces. It's fair and much softer than the Hokkien version of which the rice is stir fried, therefore, can be packed real tight.

(A)
2kg glutinous rice
2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3 shallots , chopped
Half cup oil

Soak rice at least 3 hours, or overnight. Drain well. Fry shallot in oil until slightly golden and fragrant. Mix shallot oil, rice, salt and sugar together.

(B)
600gm peeled mung beans
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar

Soak mung beans for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain well and mix with salt and sugar. Leave to marinate for 1 hour or more.
** U can mix this with rice after marinating. Or use it on its own as filling.

(C)
1kg pork belly, no skin
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp light soy sauce
2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1 heaped tsp 5 spice powder
good dash of pepper

Mix everything together and marinate at least overnight. Best 2-3 days.

(D)
24 salted egg yolks, halved
48 pcs Chinese mushrooms, sliced
Soaked and washed large bamboo leaves
Soaked grass strands or cotton parcel strings for tying the dumplings

Method to wrap: Read my Bak Zhang recipe






This year din make gan sui joong with fillings, cos my mom just made a big pot of yummy kaya So I made plain ones to eat with "Mui Che Kayeang".


Video on how to wrap(updated 6/6/13)



Zongzi (粽子)

11 comments:

  1. Wow..you seem like a chef can cook quite a wide range of food..
    Looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only looks yummy, this Joong really does taste yummy... kekeke

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Wendy! Thank you so much for this recipe. I just made the Joong for the festival, and they're absolutely delicious!! I've never made Joong before. Your instructions were great! Yours are much prettier than mine. =) Thanks again!! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kk,
    I'm so so glad you made and loved this recipe.
    Hope to see around more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Wendy! Thanks for posting this recipe as I have been looking for it high and low on google. Anyway, I was just wondering how many dumplings does this recipe yield? It will be my first time making these dumplings and I'm pretty excited to try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natasya,
    Depends on how big you wrap them, how tight you pack them.
    I got about 48 from this recipe, which is why I cut everything to 48 pcs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy,

    I would like to check with if the rice is to be mixed with the shallot oil, salt and sugar. Also, do I need to stir fry the pork before wrapping?

    Thank you in advance!

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia,
    Yes, rice with the seasonings.
    No, use raw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy,

    Thank you for your recipe, it is so similar to my great grandma's joongs that my siblings thought that somehow I had discovered her recipe myself. Now that I have put them onto your site, they all follow your recipes. Tastes so good...brings back lots of happy memories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shallots for fry rice only 3 pcs?

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jocelyn,
    Yes, just 3. After sliced, you will probably get 2 Tbsp of it.
    Just need a bit of fragrance, and try not to stain the rice.
    Need it to be pale

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...