Monday, May 11, 2009
Pandan Layer Cake 香兰蛋糕
Made this cake for my Mother in Law (MIL) for mother's day.
I first made this cake by experiment many many years ago, using green bean flour for the jelly and a packaged sponge mix for the cake. The green bean flour solidifies way too quickly for me to spread this evenly. So, this time I changed it to agar-agar with cornstarch. I think I put in too little cornflour as the mixture wasn't thick enough, and my cake floated (I assembled it upside down). Do double** the cornstarch if u want to try making this cake.
The result.... taste, yummy.
Looks.. decieving! Cos the floated cake was hidden by the curve of the plate. kekekeke!!!!
BTW, my daisies are ugly! I seriously am thinking to take up a cake decorating course!
Sponge:4 large eggs (250gm shells on)
100gm flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
50gm coconut milk
80gm corn oil
1/2 tsp pandan paste.
Green food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 170/180C.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale.
3. In a seperate bowl, combine coconut milk, pandan paste/green colour and corn oil. Put in sifted flour and mix.
4. Put a few table spoonsful of beaten eggs into (3) and fold. Repeat 3X.
5. Pour (4) into remaining beaten eggs and fold. Take care not to deflate the eggs.
6. Pour into prepare mould and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Remove cake from mould immediately when baked. Leave to cool (cake will shrink tremendously, but uniformly) and slice into 3 layers. Freeze (air tight and separate layers with baking paper) until use.
1. 2 cups water + 200gm sugar. Cook sugar until dissolved. Leave to cool down. Do this in advance.
2. Mix 50gm cornstarch (update : 75gm gives better results) and 1 tsp pandan paste into 150gm coconut milk. Set aside
3. Bring 2 cups water + 1 tbsp agar-agar powder to a simmer.
4. Pour in (2) into (3) and cook until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat.
5. Pour (1) into (4) and combine well.
It depends on the mould u use. If u want to assemble it upside down, then put 1/3 of the pandan layer in first, then cake, then another 1/3, then 2nd layer cake and the last 1/3 of pandan layer and last layer of cake.
If u want to do it upright, then cake in first, then 1/3 pandan, then 2nd cake and pandan and cake again and pandan layer.
Chill in fridge til cold and set. Decorate with some icing and dessicated coconut.
** I tried doubling, but it was too thick instead. 50% more will be good enough.
New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA