Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Turmeric Stir Fried Pork - Confinement Month # 10
A dish I created during confinement. But suitable for any occasion.
My confinement lady prepared everything I told her and I cooked this myself.
Some may say, don't consume turmeric right after delivery, as the baby's jaundice might get worse. My mom told me to wait for 2 weeks.
Yellow = Jaundice. ???? The myth is due to the colour. Is is true??
Well, turmeric is a type of ginger and doctors here do tell, not to consume too much ginger as it effects the baby's speed of recovery from jaundice. So, believe the doctor to reduce consumption of all gingers or believe old wives tale due to the colour of turmeric and continue with all gingers. I don't believe the latter. But I am quite moderate in ginger consumption and turmeric is good for you and good for expelling wind.
Usually for a nice stir fry, restaurants will pre deep fry the meat slices before stir frying. This step ensures a fragrant dish without excessive juices from the meat. But for us home cooks, that 10 seconds of deep frying is a lot of work. Washing an oily wok and clearing the oil, is not something we home cooks love doing. Restaurants have woks ready for deep frying all the time, and not here in our lovely homes.
So, for this dish, the steps seem complicated, but if you follow it, you can easily attain a nice fragrant pork stir fry. This dish has no gravy and is supposed to be dry and fragrant. The meat is not overcooked and is still tender.
Turmeric Stir Fried Pork
Recipe source: Wendyywy
500gm pork fillet, sliced (Mui Yoke, sorry no idea how to write it in Chinese)
1 heaped tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp salt.
1 Tbsp oil
2 red onions, sliced
5 bird's eye chillies, halved
2 lemon grass, sliced
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sugar
light soy sauce to adjust
3-4 Tbsp oil for cooking
1. Marinate pork slices with turmeric powder and salt. Lastly put in 1 tbsp oil and mix. Leave aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a wok and put in oil. Put in 3 Tbsp or more cooking oil. When oil and wok is really hot, put in pork slices. Spread it around and let it cook for a while before tossing it. Stir fry pork until meat turns opaque.
3. Push pork to the side of the wok and let juices and oil flow back into the center of the wok. Let the oil heat up for about 10-15 seconds and push the pork back in into the oil. It will sizzle. Stir fry it for a while
4. Repeat this step twice (altogether 3X).
5. Push pork to the side(the juices and oil will continue to drip to the center) and put in chilli, lemon grass and onions.
6. Cook until onions are transluscent. Put in worcestershire sauce and give the onions a good toss.
7. Push the pork back onto the onions, Stir fry it for a while and sprinkle sugar over. Toss it around.
8. Taste pork and if it's not salty enough, adjust with light soy sauce.
9. Continue to stir fry until pork is dry and fragrant.
New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA