Monday, June 20, 2011
For confinement, the menu is always chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken. Almost daily it's chicken.
From what I know, the Malays do not consume chicken for confinement as they believe it causes itchiness. My colleagues were surprised we eat so much chicken during confinement. But when I told them, we believe it's the male chickens (rooster, cockerel) that causes itchiness or other allergic reactions, and we only ask for hens during this time. And it's only virgin hens or hens that has never laid eggs.
I don't really like consuming chicken in rice wine. And confinement menu always consist of sesame oil, herbs, wood ears and ginger. Any type of ginger.. be it turmeric or even galangal. So, far I like these to be in my food, so I find no problem when it comes to eating during confinement, as long as it's not too alchoholic.
This time, I tried a few new confinement recipes and this will be one of the new chicken dishes. More to come in this week. It'll all be about chicken.
If you ask, who cooked this? I was by the side of my confinement lady, instructing her this and that. That's how I did it this time. Or she'll prepare everything I tell her to, and I'll be the one cooking and she'll clean up everything. But it's not for every meal. It's just for new dishes or dishes I don't trust her doing it. Yeah, I'm that fussy!
Steamed Chicken with Red Dates
Recipe source: Wendyywy
750gm chicken (3/4 of a kampung chicken/free range chicken)
40gm red dates (weighed with seeds)
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp DOM
1. Chop chicken into small pieces.
2. Remove seeds from red dates and cut into smaller pieces.
3. Put salt and red dates into the bowl containing the chicken pieces and rub with fingers so that the flavour of the date infuses well with the chicken.
4. Put in water and cornstarch. Mix evenly.
5. Put in sesame oil. Mix.
6. Pour chicken onto steaming vessel (a slightly deep vessel so that the juices will not overflow and be wasted)
7. Pour DOM over chicken and steam for 20 minutes.