New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, September 30, 2011

My 10 Fav Kitchen Items and your Q answered - Get To Know Me Week- #4

These are my current favourite items in the kitchen. Some are brand specific, some are not.
No one paid me anything in any form to note these as my favs.

1. Hand mixer.
Ohh... with a KA on the counter doesn't mean I don't need this. I've been using this Philips baby since my Braun died on me in Dec 2007. Cheap at RM59, with priceless memory. I made so much good stuff with this thing. Frankly I prefer using this to make cake batter. I use the KA mostly for bread or sponge cakes, but other than that, it's all this good buddy's job. I prefer this model to Kenwood's. I've used my friend's Kenwood and my arms were 'trembling' after using hers. Because her mixer won't stop trembling and caused me to tremble too. LOL. This brand is definitely more stable. My old dead Braun was good too.



2. Cleaver.
This baby has been with me since............. 1998. When I moved into a student house in Uni, staying together with OiLai, I bought this cleaver at the local crockery shop and has been using it since, until today.
If I could only choose one knife in the kitchen and elimimate others, this will be the one I keep





3. Tesco Baking Paper
It's non stick! Actually, Glad works the same, but Glad is pricey. This paper makes cookies slide off, smooth and beautiful. Even for macarons. I love this. The size and dimension is lovely to work with. Use it either way, horizontally or vertically for the baking tray is fine, either you want it to fit in or have overlaps, just turn the roll around and cut, no wastage at all. But compared to Glad, the size of Tesco's paper is bigger and more user friendly. Glad's paper is somehow, narrower. when I'm done using this paper, I just stick the roll back into the drawer. No need to fold anything like how store bought baking paper is, one big big sheet. Take note that there's another similiar looking paper roll in Tesco and that is greaseproof paper and nope, that's not it.




4. Ikea's 365 Pots
I bought the big one first, and how I loved using it. I love the measurement markings by the side. When I boil soups, I know how much the water has reduced and I know how much I should add back should it went too low. I loved the big one so much that I bought a smaller one to boil lesser amounts. It's easy to clean, plus, it's thick and heavy based, means my congee don't burn easily and cooking jam in this is fabulous. It's so much better to use than Zebra brand. LOL. I know it's not the best pot around, but it's cheap, comparatively to other heavy based pots, this is definitely worth every penny.




5. Ikea's Akut Utensil set
Cheap and nice to use. I use this very very often and I love the small size of the turner. Better than wooden spoons. At least no residual smell and no fungus.




6. Stainless Steel Strainer.
I love this baby. I bought this for RM5, quite big, 7 inches in diameter. Even though I bought other strainers at a higher price at crockery stores, but they always seem to rust and I can't trust and buy another one? This one has been following me for 10 years and it's still shiny and pretty. Cheap but good. Bought it at a RM5 shop in Midvalley but it's not Daiso.
The handle is nice to use when I want to blanch food, like noodles or vege. I can dip the whole thing into my Ikea 365 pot and blanch whatever I want




7. Corelle Dinnerware
I heard some say, scared to buy Corelle dinnerware when kids are small, scared they might break it.
LOL, well, it's because my kids are young that I bought these.
1st, they are supposed to be unbreakable, although 2 pcs did break when they came back. The bumping of taking off and landing could be too much for these plates. So, how can the kids break these? It's safe for them to use
2nd. It's lightweight. I don't worry when my kids take this and use, it's not heavy for them.
3rd: It's safe for them. Do you want your kid's hot porridge to be ladled into a plastic bowl? Why not use a safer material like glass and Corelle is glass.
4th: These save space. I stacked 30 pcs of these into my cabinet and it only took up so little space.
I'm using these babies everyday since I moved to this house and I'm not keeping it for special occasions. It's meant for daily use. Scrub it, boil it, bake it.. just don't burn it.



8. Victorinox peeler
My aunt got me this from Switzerland, but you can get this in US too. Wondering if this is available in this region. I love this because I could peel soft fruits with this peeler that usual peelers can't do.



9. Enameled wok
I won't want to change to another type of wok, unless for very very strong reasons.  I love this type of wok. I can chi chi cha cha with it, not needing to worry about it's surface and enjoy the process of stir frying. This wok also gives very good temperature control. The moment I turn down the heat, the heat goes low, the moment I crank it up, it goes up. Unlike stainless steel woks that retains heat and is so slow to heat up. And unlike cast iron woks, it doesn't rust and I wash it with soap daily. It's very light and I can just keep it anywhere. It doesn't have sticky issues provided you used oil, of course. I love this wok, love it, love it.




10. Tupperware Dish Wash
If you hate cleaning pastic ware because you can't wash it clean, squeaky clean, even after 5 soapings. Try this. After using this dish wash, I never fear washing plastic items anymore. One swipe is enough to get it clean. Hello, of course! It's made by a plastic ware company for you to clean its products, definitely it cleans plastic well. So, it' even better with non plastic ware like glass and ceramic or even stainless steel, squeaky clean!
But if you love sudsy dish wash, then skip this. This is low in suds and even when you see no suds, it's cleaning power is still good. If you are using this and it's very sudsy, then you are really wasting it by using too much.


******************************************************************************
Your Questions Answered
Not many asked. And no one asked questions about me Wendy, except about the kitchen and house. So, don't send me emails asking about 'me' again. *Jokingla* I know you all are shy :)

Here's the few who asked questions that should be shared with all.

1. Jes's Deli Kitchen :
Q:I'm wondering how often you clean your kitchen
A: No time frame. Whenever it's dirty. But I do clean up the work area properly each time after use.

2, Iceamericanos
Q1: Just wondering, what did u put in the cabinet on top of the hood? So high to reach...
A1: Nothing, yet. My carpenter told me to make a cabinet there to hide the hood's piping.

Q2: And the utensils, do u wash them before every use? Cuz hard to stop lizards crawling by leh.
A2: What you don't see, don't smell don't exist. LOL. So far no signs of lizards there, lizards will always leave souvenirs. I use them daily, wash them at night, drip dry oredi throughout the night, then use again in the morning.

Q3: How do u clean your marble table after each use? U know sometimes its so oily after shaping bread dough.. and how do u clean it before using?
A3: With a clean wet towel? Marble tops are easy to clean. Rinse the cloth a few times. Use hot towel if it's too oily. Not ideal to use soap often (still can use but not often) on them as marble is porous. If they can absorb the soap, so can they release it out on your dough. I grew up with a marble table at home, and that was how we cleaned it all the time

Reese
Q:  Still wonder how you manage a clean house with 3 kids without a maid!!...
A: Don't come to my house w/o warning. LOL. You'll scare me. My house is like a warzone. I get fed up cleaning the hall cos each time the girls wake up, it's all in a mess again. I only sweep when neccessary, mop when neccessary. Not daily. Can die if daily. Luckily my hubby didn't complain, cos if he did, pergi buat sendiri la! LOL

And before I close this week, There are some stuff I would like to add. It seems that some of you are interested to know the reasons why I did my kitchen my way.

1. 3sinks, if you noticed ;)
2 sinks for oily stuff and is placed at the work area. One is for non oily stuff like cups and milk bottles and is placed at the drinks section so that the person cooking is not disturbed and of course, the single sink is always cleaner for milk prep. And always place them infront of the window for maximum sunlight. Sinks placed in dark areas tend to grow mould easily, very very easily. I hated my old ktichen sink. Scrubbed it almost daily to remove mould, so does the tiles around it.

2. Bookshelf in Kitchen.
I need cookbooks near me when I need them, not thatI want to run far to get them, or walk far to return them to their original spot. But take note to place them far from the stove area.

3. Big and deep sink
I hate it when it splashes when I wash the wok. So, get a deep huge sink for all you wokkers.

4. Drying rack for pots and basins
A dish drainer isn't enough. So, I added a pot rack on top of the dish drainer to dry my pots, basins and Tupperware.


5. No cabinets above rice cooker/slow cooker area.
Take note that the steam emitted during the cooking process might spoil the cabinet , so, I didn't put any cabinets above the work area as I planned to have my rice cooker and slow cooker there.

6. Dish Cabinet
I placed this as close as possible to where I drain my dishes. Don't want to walk far to keep them




7. Drawers and Cabinets for snacks and drinks.
All placed near the single tap. Convenient and reduces walking :)
Most of all, shouldn't disrupt the person who is cooking



8. Counter height and drawer height.
Make sure the counter is at a height that you feel comfortable with. My old house's counter was too low and made my back ache whenever I do a lot of dishes. I prefer to have my pelvic bone rested against the counter so that I feel comfortable leaning to the front.
I also measured my containers so that I know how tall my tall my drawers should be. It's not good to have drawers only to find out later, your containers can't fit in.
I also measured the height of my tallest book and gave the carpenter a minimum height to work with.



9. Storage spaces suitably filled according to function.
I place sauces and oil in a slim cabinet at my food prep area. Dry ingredients and spices also should be at the same area. Usually in modern kitchens, the bottles are places in a draw out wire rack, but it was toooooooooo expensive to be installed. So, I had my 5kg oil measured out and told the carpenter to do like the cheapest way, that is to make shelves, LOL

10. The fridge.
I'm particular about the door. I don't like storage on doors to waste space. So, I selected my fridge based on space utilization. My previous fridge, Kelvinator, I hated it, I didn't buy it, ok. The racks were poorly designed and wasted a lot of space. The racks on the doors can hardly put a bottle of peanut butter, only jams and slim bottles. And so so wasteful. I hated it.
So far this fridge served me well, and my hubby loves the ice making feature. It creates ice in just 2-3 hours cos there's an air outlet at the ice cubes area.And all the ice cubes comes off easily with a twist. Doesn't get stuck to the container.



11. Location of Oven (added at 3.25pm)
Sometimes, I burn things in the oven. Yeah, I do.
Especially if you make roast pork, the moment you open the oven door, the kitchen becomes heaven. Foggy! Takes a long time for the smoke to dissipate. The house smells like 'urggh!'. With that foggy experience of making roast pork, I told myself, the oven must be near the window or the door, so that the smoke and smell can go away  easily. Or at least near the kitchen hood. If you watch Fresh with Anna Olsen or French Cooking at Home with Laura Calder, take notice of their ovens, it's near the door or window.


Another item to consider: Recycling spot
Actually the space under the stove is used to keep recyclable items. Since the gas tank is there, it's not nice to keep other things, so keep old milk tins, glass botttles, PET bottles and plastic bags. You won't want to peep into the garbage cabinet, LOL. But we do have to start recycling, if not, our children will suffer.

Now, can you imagine the look on my carpenter's face when he was doing my kitchen? Tension!!! Even drawers have a designated height! LOL. He told me, this is the most complicated kitchen that he has ever done in small town KK, simply because the rest just give him free hand whereas I had my own design in mind.

43 comments:

  1. I live victorinox peeler it is the best peeler too bad I only bought one back from Switzerland by chance (that time I still didn't know it's so good). I try to search around in Singapore but couldn't get coz I so scare the only one I have will eventually spoil one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you designed your kitchen and planned for the details, like the 3 sinks. It's not only simple and nice, it's very practical.

    LOL@ your "fancy tableware for blogging purposes". Enjoy getting to know your kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victorinox is available in isetan, i think.

    And Wendy, thanks for answering my Q. Just one more question, how much is the tesco baking paper hah? I bought FirstChoice. rM 3.99. Hate those big big piece from baking supplies shop too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel,
    My aunty also bought it by chance as she said, that's the most affordable item at Swiss Army Knives, LOL. And she regretted buying only 2, one for me one for my mom.



    Yvonne,
    Blogging takes up quite a space in my kitchen, but luckily I am beginning to stop purchasing tableware for it. Last time when Daiso first opened, was half crazy shopping there.



    iceamericanos,
    RM4 something or 5 I think. It's 8m long, and I love the size it comes in, no wastage at all.
    I only go to Isetan once a blue moon, some more after moving back to KK, lagi less ler. Last time when I was still in KL, just few times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where to get Enameled wok? thinking to buy one. I have 4, 5 and 7, also no 3 just recently added after you highly recommended,hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. sonia,
    Kedai barang barang dapur, LOL. Cinapek shop got oredi. But I think Carrefour also have it, my housemate bought it there last time.
    Ask for 油wok. Ask for the Made in China one, local one not so durable.
    Cost less than RM40 for 40cm size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - your kitchen is so neat and tidy! And everything is so well thought out and well planned. Thanks for sharing. Now I have a few ideas on how to maximise my kitchen space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, love ur kitchen very much..very tidy. Wait lar, when i have my own house...i'm sure I wan something like that. Retired from my work and spare more times in the kitchen...just hope that no black smock from the kitchen can d. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mum also has the enamel wok, she said better. NOt sure if she means better wok hei..but i guess chefs in all chinese rests use this type of wok, right? i think heavier compared to our normal steel ones.just imagining them lifting and tossing them..phew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're moving to our new condo in Dec too. Much nearer to my children's primary school in future but further away from hubby's office. :P And looking at yr kitchen makes me very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love the huge sink, can put the entire wok inside it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NEL,
    It's a once a lifetime chance.. so I really gave it thorough thought :)


    Angeline,
    Black smoke? Unless u're BBQing in the house


    lena,
    No la, enameled wok is very very light.
    You come and chi chi cha cha on my wok , LOL.


    Belly Good cooking,
    that means I get to see your new kitchen too? That makes me excited for you too. Women love to look at kitchens, kekekeke.



    nileey,
    Oh yes, bigger sink for more things to WASH. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No la.. We bought a secondhand condo actually, hehe. New ones very very expensive nowadays. Kitchen cabinets already built-in. Hope can post it up soon. :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, actually I very confuse on the types of wok, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy , can I know how many watts is your transformer for kitchen aid mixer? Cos my cousin is lugging one back for me from USA . Does the frequency hz different slow down the mixer? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wvfy,
    what is the power of the one you bought?
    google for "teletron, transformer" then check out the transformer you need.

    Mine is a TSD-1000W model transformer, as my KA 450W. If you buy a lower transformer, your mixer will underperform, so, better get a higher one. If you are buying the Artisan which is 325W, just get TSD-800W.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy, it's very generous of you to share all these valuable info. I wished there were such thing 11 years ago but at least I have a good contractor friend who gave us lots of tips & advice. Not a perfect kitchen but at least now I know what to do in our next kitchen (if there's one kekeke)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Wendy, the model I bought is Ksm150 , 325 watts, yesterday I went one of the electrical shop here , and they told me to buy at least 3 times watts you need in order not to burn the mixer, but according to them, the transformer cannot transform the frequency, as such the mixer may still be under perform....becos of the frequency difference... Thanks or your info !

    ReplyDelete
  19. wvfy,
    Then go for the 1000W transformer, :)
    Wish you fun with the new mixer

    ReplyDelete
  20. babe_kl,
    U're welcomed. I wish you get a new kitchen next time, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. 好喜欢你厨房的装饰,我也渴望我的新房子的装璜工作快快完成让我有个新厨房天地.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting post..I'm enjoy reading it. I like the strainer will look for it in mid valley. Thks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jes,
    Oh no, that shop sudah bankrupt la.
    I bought that more than 10 years ago.
    I think that shop was replaced by a goldsmith shop oredi.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everything is so neatly placed, I love the look of those Ikea pots too, wonder if they still carry those? Must go take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jeannie,
    Sure have. Go and get some for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha? Ya ka. I tot got one rm3 or rm5 shop there?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jes,
    But the shop I buy from is oredi tutup. Even if it's still there, 10 yr ago punya product, still got meh?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow.. I'm impressed with the thought process for yr kitchen reno. Everything was so well thought out! I wish tat one day I could have kitchen space which can accommodate 3 sinks. :)

    All the best for Blogger Masterchef! 我看好你!

    Eleen

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was so impressed of you, u need to take care of 3 kids & do household work without a maid, furthermore got time to update your blog, you know everytime when i was surf at you web, it can took me the whole nite.

    Thanks a lot for your sharing.

    All the best for Blogger Masterchef. 加油!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wendy! thank you so much for these great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Wendy,
    I've been a silent reader of your lovely blog for awhile now... ever since I read about and made your fenge soup with dried oysters and cuttlefish (my kids' fav now!).

    My 5-mth old Panasonic handmixer just died yesterday... maybe I was stressing it up making bread dough with it (are we not supposed to?).
    I'm not sure if I want to invest in a KitchenAid at this moment, so I'll like to seek your advice:
    - can we use handmixer for bread dough?
    - if so, which is a good recommendation?

    ReplyDelete
  32. YM,
    Glad ur kids love the soup, it's very good for them.

    How much dough did you use with ur handmixer?
    Check the product manual to see it's dough weight capacity. You might have overworked its motor. I never make bread with my hand held mixer and I could smell the motor even when I only made choux pastry which is a lot more softer than bread dough.
    If the manual says, dough capacity 250gm, it means flour+water+ everything 250gm. If you made more than this, you have definitely overworked the mixer. I believe your mixer is 200W, and that is actually not suitable at all.

    But then again, any hand mixer is never suitable unless the dough is very fluid, even if it comes with the dough hook.

    To invest in a KA or not.
    What you should consider.
    1. Consumption amount
    2. Usage
    3. Oven capacity

    First of all.

    1. How much bakes does your family consume?
    -One small loaf of cake? A handmixer does a much better job, even for 250gm of butter type of cakes, which is 8 inch square, a KA's no fun to use.
    -Bread : Let's compare with amount of sausage rolls.
    -:6 sausage rolls: Manual kneading is the best
    -:6-15 sausage rolls: Bread maker is the most economical kneader, Manual will still be fine
    -:12-24 sausage rolls: KA 325W model will be good.
    -:12-40 sausage rolls: KA 450W model will be good.

    2. What are you going to use the KA for?
    Are you going to bake lots of big cakes and lots of bread (more than 12 sausage rolls)often?
    KA doesn't beat 2 egg whites that well, even tho it says it could even beat 1 egg white, but a handmixer will do a much better job. If it's only to knead bread and you're not sure how long you will want to bake bread, go for a breadmaker.

    3. Oven capacity.
    -Besides investing in a KA, you should also take into consideration your oven size.
    If you want to bake 24 sausage rolls, how many shifts will you bake them? Machine kneaded breads overproof easily, very easily. Microwave convection ovens could only bake single layer, 20L ovens could only bake 6 buns at a time. Make sure your oven could bake no more than 2 shifts with the amount of buns you intend to bake.

    I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a KA, but to let you see the reasons that you should think of. A KA or will a breadmaker be enough?
    If you are really sure that you will be baking on a long term basis, go for KA

    I chose a large KA because I bake immensely. And we consume bread at a very high rate, one Jumbo Gardenia can be gone in a day. And my oven is kinda big, so I can bake 2-3 loaves of bread at one go, so a big mixer will be great to make large batches of bread in one go.
    I'm still using my handmixer to bake butter cakes as that is still the best tool, unless you buy a scraper paddle blade for the KA.

    Hope it gets sorted out and you'll be baking bread soon :)
    sorry for being long winded

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Wendy,
    Thanks. I really appreciate your taking the time to help answer my question and give some clarity.
    I was actually trying to catch you in FB to ask you this question in a chat, but this "long-winded" answer more than suffice! :)

    Looks like my answer will be to get another handmixer cos:
    - I have a breadmaker... a "Breadman" breadmaker that I got when I was staying in the US 8 yrs ago. But I just didn't take it out to use in the last 2 years as I just don't have the countertop space. It's still working though... a really good machine :)
    - my oven is only a medium-sized 42L tabletop oven which can only bake 10 dinner rolls at a time (really good point on oven size!)
    - I make small little cakes and whip only 1 or 2 egg whites at a time! Thank God you told me this about KA.

    Looks like I will have to knead the bread with my hands for now!

    P/S. Will be making your Hakka Xi Ban tomorrow.
    And also made your Jamie Oliver Chicken in Milk and Cream before, but totally forgot to take a pic cos the smell was just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Wendy!
    Nice to read your blog! I myself, a working mother with 3 small kids without maid. Just like you, I love my kitchen area. And no matter how tired i am, will make sure that so called my-MARKAS is tidy and clean!
    Thanks - u just make me feel that i am not alone..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Person who adores cooking,
    I am beginning to be lazy nowadays........... hahaha! but I don't leave it dirty, just cluttered, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Wendy, I like to read your blog, I'm a beginner to cook, and going through your blog gives me inspiration and spirit. I'm moving into new house and currently planning my kitchen. Can you give me advice of what type of oven (built-in or tabletop)is more suitable for me, I will only use the oven to bake cakes once in a while, and most likely use to bake potatoes, roast chicken, etc.. also 2 - 3 times weekly.
    My questions:
    1. built-in or tabletop oven? Asking this as I want to have one for long term.
    2. if to save space, can i put built-in oven below my hob (built-in hob). What's the pros and cons? Thinking to do this because if i do a tall unit like yours, my wet kitchen will become small and not enough work space for food preparation.

    3. If tabletop oven, It will also take up space, right?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yuki,
    1. Both table top or built in consumes space. It's either you lose counter top space or cabinet space. So, you choose whether you need more counter space or storage. As long as the ovens are reliable and lasting, you can use either for long term. A counter top can be stored in the cabinet, I've seen many doing that.
    2. If u put the oven under your hob, unless the door is 3 layer or 4 layers, if not you won't be able to stand there and cook while something is baking. Some oven doors are cool to touch, and you may want to consider that if you want to put the oven under ur hob, and they come with a $$ price tag.
    3. Countertop ovens are cheaper compared to built in and please consider the amount you are baking in one go, then decide on the capacity u need to buy. For esthetic reasons, of course built in will look nicer, but if the kitchen is well maintained, a counter top will look just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've been looking for a narrow dish drainer like you show. Where did you get it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Unknown with no name,
    Kitchenware shops. Cost me less than RM120. Stainless steel, not chrome. Made in China.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for sharing to Favriote kitchen item.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What's the model of your mixer?
    Thanks in advance.

    -Cheryl-

    ReplyDelete
  42. Cheryllynn,
    It's 8 years old oredi. I'm not sure if the same thing is still available. BTW, there aren't many Philips hand mixers in the market.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...