These custard filled pancakes are easy to do and lovely to eat. My hubby can eat 6 in one go! LOL. I can easily down 4. Lydia eats 2 with ease.
I saw a few recipes and settled for one that uses Eno fruit salt because I know Eno gives batters a beautiful and delicious type of fluffiness.
Kak Rusnah and Mamawandiha
Makes: 20 pcs
150gm all purpose flour (9% protein)
250ml water (or pandan juice)
Small drop of yellow food colouring
1 tsp Eno fruit salt
1. Mix flour, water and colouring together until a smooth batter forms. Add in Eno, stir it (it will fizzle) and leave it for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a frying pan on medium low heat, put in 2 drops of oil and wipe around with tissue.
3. Put in 1 Chinese soup spoon of batter and fry until the surface is fully set.
4. Remove the pancake onto plate and fry another piece of pancake.
5. While waiting for each piece of pancake to cook, fill the pancakes with 1 heaped tsp of custard and fold into half. Gently press to seal the sides. (do this before it totally cools down)
Custard Filling (can be made in advance)
Very small pinch of salt
20gm custard powder (use cornstarch if making pandan flavour)
100gm coconut milk
100gm water or pandan juice
*2 pandan leaves, torn (for yellow custard only)
1. In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, salt and sugar until combined, put in cornstarch and mix until even. Add in coconut milk and stir to combine. Add in water and combine.
2. Pour the mixture into a heavy based saucepan. Put in pandan leaf.
3. Cook on medium heat, stirring al the time until the custard cooks and turns very thick.
4. Let it cool down before filling the pancakes.
I am submitting this to MFF Kedah Perlis Month hosted by WendyinKK of Table for 2...... or More