New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mango Salad with Dried Cuttlefish - MFF Kedah Perlis #9




The last of my Kedah Perlis dishes! Phew! All done!

Because this month, I am host cum organizer, I am supposed to do 6 dishes, but since there weren't much on the internet, I decided to do more so that there will be more ideas and more recipes to choose from.

Kerabu or Salad made with dried cuttlefish is quite common in Chinese restaurants, but normally they come with cucumber. But in Kedah, especially Serdang area, the restaurants have come up with versions that uses green mango (see here), guava(see here) or even green apple(see here). Again, I saw this on the TV show,  Taste with Jason (Axian)



Since I have never eaten this, I look at the pictures and I tried to imagine the taste. One of my reader, Mel, has a cousin who dines at Sin Aik Kee very often, almost like weekly. So, she helped me ask what are the ingredients detected in the salad. I was told, lime, chilli, and honey. No belacan. The rest, I could see visually.

Lena helped me get these dried cuttlefish as the ones sold in Giant were pretty bland. Lena also helped me ask her friend on how to make the crispy cuttlefish just like in restaurants. I was told, to dry fry on the pan.

So, this dish was made with the help of my friends! All helping towards MFF. Thank you Mel and Lena.


If you want to do the mango version, get the green crunchy type that is easily found in Klang Valley's cut fruit stalls. I suspect those used in the salad is that type of mango because on TV, the clients keep on saying it's very crunchy. Other green mangoes aren't that crunchy, except that type. So, for best results, go to the cut fruit stalls and ask for a whole uncut mango. That mango is crunchy and not very sour, I usually cannot resist buying one packet if I see it, those that are already peeled and cut.

But in KK, I cannot get that type of mango, so I used whatever I could find.


Mango Salad with Dried Cuttlefish
Recipe source: WendyinKK
Original Idea: Sin Aik Kee, Serdang Kedah

1 green mango (approximately 300gm)*
1 red onion (rather small)
2 bird’s eye chilli
1 Tbsp calamansi juice
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
Some dried cuttlefish (I used about 4 pcs of 5 inch long of plain ones)

1. Tear dried cuttlefish and dry fry in a pan on low heat until it dries up (you can bake in oven).
2. Prepare dressing. Mix calamansi juice, sugar, honey and salt together. Slice chilli and put into the dressing. Stir and let it sit as you prepare the rest.
3. Thinly slice onions.
4. Wash the mango properly and cut mango into thin matchsticks, skin on.**
5. Place mango and onion into a bowl. Pour dressing over. Toss. Put in dried cuttlefish and give it a light toss. Serve immediately

*Alternate fruits that can be used: Guava and green apple
**Pls do not use a grater. Grated mango will be wetter and mouthfeel not as good.


Try to julienne the mango this way for even length, not perfectly equal, but at least similar and each piece has some skin



11 comments:

  1. Elegantly done... You are turning fresh humble ingredients into a fine appetizing dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aiyoh!! this is my favourite asian salad, i always love to order this in thai restaurants but i can never fully get the dressing right. Thanks for recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my type of salad but it is difficult to find this type of green mango here. I am going to try looking for it at the Indian or Vietnamese store and make this. Look to appetizing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy,
    Aiyoo, looking at your mango salad i am salivating now..:p i ike the added cuttlefish too. Thanks for sharing!!
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. you've done great choices for the kedah perlis round. All sound absolutely delicious and beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really flavourful, dried cuttlefish is yum, yum, yum! Also leaving the mango skin on has added mango fragrance. Banyak sedap leh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, I am sure I will love this salad, give me a big plate pls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! The first pic made me drool literally!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another appetizing dish! Love the cuttlefish in it. Can't stop salivating over your recent posts...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very refreshing salad and thanks for the tip on handling the cuttlefish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...