New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Kuih Lepat Liat - MFF Kedah Perlis #3



This Kedahan kuih was actually told to me by my reader, Norehan. Thanks kak!

Liat means elastic. Is this kuih that elastic? Haha, it didn’t break my teeth.
It’s actually quite soft, while it’s warm. Firmer when colder. I like it firm and chewy. Almost like dodol. Delicious! If you have no idea about dodol, it’s almost like niangao 年糕. Get it? Except the coconut is already in the niangao. Sweet, sticky, chewy and coconutty.



It's also pretty easy to make, ready to eat in 30 minutes from start to end. Hmm.. 30 mins is for me:) hehehe.
But if you work swiftly, you can do too within 30 minutes

Take note that it is not gula melaka or palm sugar used here. It is dark brown sugar or jaggery.



Kuih Lepat Liat
Source: Kak Rusnah
Makes: 6 pcs

125gm water
70gm dark brown sugar (jaggery or gula merah)
1 pc pandan leaf
120 gm glutinous rice flour
40gm grated coconut flesh + pinch of salt
6 pcs of 5X7” banana leaf

1. Place pandan leaf, sugar and water into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and let it cool down.
2. Meanwhile wilt banana leaf (blanch, steam or over open flame, as you wish)
3. Mix the cooled syrup with the rice flour and stir.
4. Lightly grease a piece of banana leaf.
5. Place 1 heaped Tbsp of rice batter onto greased leaf and spread it around.
6. Place some coconut into the center.
7. Bring both sides of the banana leaf up and fold twice. First fold is small, 2nd fold is bigger to the sides. Then fold the sides down.
8. Steam on MEDIUM heat for 15 minutes. If you’re making more, you can stack them to steam, but the 2nd layer should be across the first layer, for better steam circulation.






I am submitting this to MFF Kedah Perlis Month hosted by WendyinKK of Table for 2...... or More

16 comments:

  1. Looks really "sedap" kuih ini....tapi banyak steps and work need to do this! I know the yummy taste came all from the Gula Melaka! Wish I could have one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any kuih made out of palm sugar so I should like this. Looking forward to submit a few dishes for this month MFF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am kedah girl。。but never try it before。 :(

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw your first photo, my impression was coconut wrapped in dodol. I like the chewy texture of dodol and I will sure love this kuih lepat liat especially the coconut filling. Very nice step-by-step photos too, easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duh....I got it wrong in my comment earlier...it is gula merah! I glance your picture too fast the merah like melaka! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes.. I can so relate to this kuih during my growing up years in AlorSetar... :D

    Gorgeous photo of the lepat...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks delicious ! Ya, a very near relation to dodol but easier version. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel,
    It's not hard la. Just that I show many shots dun mean it's a lot of steps. Once u do liao, u will see how easy it is.


    Gert,
    yayay! look forward to more entries from u!


    joceline,
    Hmm..maybe not found near ur place?


    Phong Hong,
    If I dun tell, u will think u're eating dodol, wakakaka.


    Lisa H,
    Thanks, try to make this and have a taste of childhood :)


    Mai Lin,
    And a lot quicker to make than regular dodol, LOL. Dodol quickfix kuih! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. This kuih looks yummy and familiar. Maybe have eaten this before but not with brown sugar, remember it was green, maybe pandan flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This kuih sounds similar to how we sometimes steam niangao and coat it with some grated coconut? It's quite interesting to see similar food among the different races.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like something i like to eat. hope i can make it for this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea, hope i can manage to do this for this month too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds easy and yummy! But have to get daun pisang first. Hope I can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheah,
    It may remind u of kuih koci??
    But so far I have never seen it b4.



    Lite Home Bake,
    Haha, almost like that...
    Laaa.. join us la for MFF.


    lena,
    Sedap lor, try la! Easy also, plus this recipe only for 6pcs, LOL



    Esther,
    Banyak senang. Buy the ingredients and Friday's kuih will use the same stuff, LOL. One purchase 2 kuihs


    Vivian,
    U can wait til Friday and make 2 kuihs in one shot! The ingredients are similar :)


    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks yummy! And so easy too...I like:D But kitchen still not ready, so have to kiv this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Wendy..

    This lepat liat is so yummy actually.I only know about this kue after got married with my other half. His grandma used to make this for him & they like to make this in very the very small size.. (u can "ngap" this kue into ur mouth at one time).

    anyway..thanks so much for sharing this recipe. will try to make this a.s.a.p.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...