Sometimes..... I buy too much Nutella when it's on offer... that's when the expiry date is near. But I'm usually not bothered about it. It's cheap!
I just saw the price for a 750gm bottle yesterday and it was selling at the regular price of RM32.++.
This cake was one of my clean up pantry cakes, and I need to use up that jar really quickly.
But I think it'll be a good suggestion if the Nutella gets to hard to be spread on bread, use it to bake a chiffon instead, because the hard clumped up Nutella will be melted into the batter.
No oil, no sugar in the yolk batter, as these are already present in the Nutella.
The cake is a bit on the moist side, so you might want to reduce the milk. See my hand on the cake??
Nutella Chiffon Cake
100gm hot milk
80gm cake flour, sifted
5 egg yolks (grade B)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 egg whites (grade B)
1. Melt Nutella with hot milk, stir until smooth. Let it cool down.
2. Preheat oven to 160(fan)/180C. Prepare a 22 or 25cm chiffon pan. Do not grease.
3. When the Nutella mixture has cooled down, mix with egg yolks, flour and vanilla extract until it becomes a smooth batter.
4. In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks and gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff.
5. Put 1/4 of the egg whites into the Nutella batter, with quick and gentle stroke, fold the batter. Repeat with another 1/4 of the egg whites.
6. Pour the Nutella batter into the egg whites, scrape the Nutella batter bowl clean and fold the final batter until no streaks of egg whites are seen.
7. Bake the cake for 50 minutes or until done.
8. Remove from oven immediately, and cool it upside down*.
9. When cake has TOTALLY cooled down, remove from mould and slice to serve. Keep cake air covered to prevent drying out.
*If the inner tube is shorter than the supporting legs of the pan, you need to support the inner tube with a bottle or a small over turned cup