New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Flourless Nutella Souffle Cake - Nutella week #2


Sometimes I am greedy.

I saw Nutella going ‘Buy 1 Free 1’ and so I grabbed 4 and paid for 2. I knew the expiry is in 4 month’s time. Usually this is a Fast Moving 'Edible' Good in my household so 4 jars is no big deal. But no no no! During Christmas season and then all the pre-CNY preparation has left these jars of deliciousness untouched in the cabinet. By the time I remembered them it was 1 month to expiry.

I had to bake with them in order to use them up ASAP.

This is my first bake with Nutella, no joke. Usually I am too scroogy to use this in bakes as Nutella is quite expensive. The Nutella Chiffon cake was baked a week after this cake.


First cake

How was this cake? Hmmm.. it so happened that my hubby’s friend dropped by with his elderly mom. I asked if she wanted some. She told me she’ll have a small piece to share with her daughter in law. When I served her one ‘regular’ piece (since she will be sharing), she ate it all up herself.

I asked her, “Auntie, I thought you’d be sharing with Jenny?”
Auntie laughed and said ,”It’s very nice. Normally, I don’t eat cake, but I want to finish this up.”

Whole cake gone in one afternoon.
Enough said.

First cake, fudgy center :-)
And I served this slice to my happy guest.

That was the first cake.

Two weeks later, I made another one and brought it  to my mom.
My nieces ate giving me thumbs up and thumbs up.

And the second one was better with the same recipe... because it was all set nicely. The time given is a guideline, let your eyes be the judge. The dome stops growing taller when it's done. If it starts to shrink even when it's still baking, remove it immediately. Any longer and it will be over baked with a tendency to turn dry.

2nd Cake

Flourless Nutella Souffle Cake
Recipe largely adapted from Ms Adventures in Italy  

5 Grade B eggs (around 58-61gm each with shells on), separated
80gm sugar
160gm unsalted butter
100gm dark chocolate (I used 74%)
200gm nutella
1 tsp instant coffee dissolved with 1 tsp boiling water
½ tsp vanilla extract

Butter for greasing and cocoa powder for dusting

Snow powder and strawberries as garnish

1. Preheat oven at 180C (fan off). Butter and dust the sides of a 8 inch spring form fan with cocoa powder. Line the base with baking paper.
2. Melt butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl (either microwave or double boil). Stir until smooth.
3. Put in nutella and mix until smooth. Put in egg yolks one by one and mix well after each addition. Mix in dissolved coffee and vanilla.
4. Beat egg whites until medium stiff and gradually beat in sugar until medium stiff peaks form.
5. Put in half the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and stir with a spatula (yes stir!), scraping the base as you do it.
6. Put in the balance of egg whites and gently stir until combined.
7. Pour batter into the prepared pan, it’ll be around 2/3 full.
8. Bake for 35 minutes or until a dome forms over the rim. Remove from oven and let it cool down before serving.

2nd cake, perfect! But this pic is the clearest among all that I shot that day.

chocolate courtesy of Alan Goh :)


23 comments:

  1. you had me at nutella and chocolate. droooooling......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way your dress up your Nutella flourless cake. Looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another yummy Nutella creation! I have baked a flourless cake before and I actuallly like the way it looks because I can tell my guests "The cake is supposed to look that way" :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy,

    You are so keng... The butter you use is so expensive. I guess it is a very costly cake. I can imagine why the auntie said is nice. I will eat none stop if you invite me to eat hehehehe. Well done

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow…. marvellous mouthwatering piece.
    I am a sucker for nutella too, especially if its on sale :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say - exceptionally mouth watering !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi wendy,

    Ur cake look fantastic... will definitely try it soon. I saw in the recipe that it require 80g sugar. is it possible for me to reduce it cause i prefer cake less sweet.

    Thanks
    Ping

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ping,
    If 80gm of sugar is considered a lot in a 8 inch cake, then it's your choice.
    If you reduce the sugar, you could run the risk of having a much shorter cake as your egg white may not be stable enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woow...Cakes looks very yummy and delicious.I like to read cake recipe which is easy to understand. Thanks very much for sharing these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hihi, i tried this recipe and the taste turned out to be very delicious! however, i do have a little problem. my cake rise well (till the top of the pan) but de-flat till half of the size.. what could be the reason? can you pls help??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man! This is absolutely sold! I think I should find time baking this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice and clear recipe.It's great pleasure to get a chance to comment on such a nice blog. I love to enjoy reading new things. Thanks for share and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi wendy, can i use semi sweet baking bar chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  15. sherry,
    should e ok... just that the outcome will e sweeter

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this lovely recipe. I am absolutely new to baking (and cooking as well) and have a few questions that I hope you could reply.
    When you said to preheat the oven with fan off. What does this mean. Why do we do this and how do we do it.
    Tks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bhkk,
    Before you attempt this cake, this recipe is not suitable for beginners, unless you feel comfortable trying it out.
    Before you bake anything, most of the time, we need to preheat the oven so that the oven will be at the right temperature, the moment the bake goes in. How you set it depends on your oven. Read your oven's manual on the part for preheating.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Wendy, will the same recipe work in a 9" pan?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry 1 more question, what's the texture of the cake if it's kept in the fridge? Will it become rock hard

    ReplyDelete
  20. JT,
    If you use a 9inch pan, the cake will turn out thinner.
    Not really that rock hard, just firmer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Wendy. I did this in a 9" pan unknowingly and it turned out perfect! My mum loved it and wiped out the entire cake.

    However when I wanted to try this your way in the 8" pan it was wet and soggy after the stipulated time. I was very sad. I couldn't figure out the reason and i don't dare try it again as the ingredients are expensive.

    It's a great yummy cake but I'll stick to my 9" albeit thinner.

    ReplyDelete
  22. michle,
    It's always wonderful to hear moms wiping clean our bakes, My mom gives me the same satisfaction too :)
    I'm sorry to hear it didn't turn out as well in your 8 inch pan. As with all recipes from all sources, baking time is always a guide, every oven bakes slightly differently.
    Try to observe the dome as it bakes, the moment, you seem to notice the dome starts to shrink, that's when you stop baking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...